We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

Rocklin, California
reviews: 22
Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

Do the flight attendants know if you "bought" your first class ticket with miles, upgrades, or if you paid for it?

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 43
1. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

Apparently they do. According to my husband who is a regular on the FlyerTalk forums...

On AC I have witnessed the Head FA/Purser start her greetings with passenger A in say, Seat 5A...consult her list and then move to passenger B in Seat 8B etc etc.

Eventually pretty much last on the list she will get to Passenger African Daisy whose ticket has been purchased with miles or e-upgrades and greet her.

So husband must be right :) For once :) :)

New York
reviews: 61
2. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

I disagree. We upgrade on long haul trip (China, India, and Argentina) and never have been treated differently in BusinessFirst on United.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
3. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

Of course they do...so what, makes no difference to them

UK
reviews: 88
4. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

On some airlines I am sure they can, and on some airlines they care, on others they don't care, for example, on Ametican Airlines I've always had exemplary service in business on air miles, and on BA I don't *think* they care, at least I put the somewhat random treatment I get to random behaviour.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 43
5. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

The service is excellent. It is just apparent that sometimes they do have a hierarchy.

Doesn't worry me at all. I'm in Business for the seat and lashings of booze....obsequious service is not my thing.

I was on Swiss Business last week and there didn't seem to be any difference in how passengers were greeted/served etc.

Rocklin, California
reviews: 22
6. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

I guess my main concern is then can we be bumped from our first class seats that we got on miles by someone who wants to actually "pay" for the seat?

UK
reviews: 88
7. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

No they won't do that

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
8. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

Yes, sometimes. Your boarding pass sometimes shows what fare bucket you're in.

Take a look at any boarding pass. Following the flight number is sometimes a letter. That letter indicates fare bucket. I haven't figured out what the rhyme or reason is on the presence of this indicator letter. It does not appear on Qantas boarding passes. For United, boarding passes printed at home do not show it. But the boarding passes, printed at airport kiosks do show it.

"On AC I have witnessed the Head FA/Purser start her greetings with passenger A in say, Seat 5A...consult her list and then move to passenger B in Seat 8B etc etc.

Eventually pretty much last on the list she will get to Passenger African Daisy whose ticket has been purchased with miles or e-upgrades and greet her.

So husband must be right :) For once :) :)"

They do have pecking orders, but it may not necessarily be via fare bucket. I have seen the Head FA/Purser come all the way back to wherever I am sitting to greet me first, delivering a personal signed card from that airport's manager when that flight segment brings me to a new milestone as a long-term status customer, and then go to just a few select customer to select customer with similar greetings. It's funny and sometimes a bit awkward when I've switched seats with someone prior to this purser coming, and hence greeting the wrong passenger. It's not always so awkward, when they actually recognize me from repeated flights and know who they are looking for.

Edited: 3:10 pm, May 13, 2013
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
9. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

rgadavis: I guess my main concern is then can we be bumped from our first class seats that we got on miles by someone who wants to actually "pay" for the seat?

jointheuk: No they won't do that.

All bets are off if your flight is cancelled or the airplane gets swapped out for a smaller aircraft with fewer seats. Then the pecking order begins. If you paid for the ticket, you're in...maybe. Then the upgraded passengers go next, based on status, fare bucket and then time of check-in. It's complicated. Sometimes, the gate agent will put in a bias, with overseas connections getting priority, a parent juggling multiple young children getting sympathy, anybody that gave the agents a hard time going dead last, etc.

Edited: 3:26 pm, May 13, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
10. Re: Can the F.A. tell if you got your ticket with miles?

Once you have the seat in first, they are not going to downgrade you because someone wants to pay. They may change your actual seat prior to your boarding--as late as at the gate.

I had the opposite experience. While boarding ( Business partially paid for and partially with points) and prior to sitting I noticed that my seat had taken a wine bath. There was no way I was sitting in it! Business was full. They looked over the list of business passengers, found the one in an aisle seat ( since I had told them I had to have an aisle) with the most status and upgraded THAT person to first, giving me their now vacant business seat. Worked for me--all I wanted was a dry seat!