We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

BELFAST
reviews: 43
BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

After saving Avios for a long time I am trying to book BA First Class flights to Las Vegas in May 2014. BA do not release the flights until 355 days before and even then they do not show any First Class seats. I phoned the BA Exectutive Club - they were no help as they do not know when any First Class seats will become available or how many.

Are BA Avios a big con unless you are completely flexible on dates and destinations? Or does anyone know how I can book the flights I want?

75 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
1. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

You're trying to book for a very popular route which usually means low availability. Try looking for a routing with a stop-over, for instance LHR-DFW-LAS or LHR-LAX-LAS. Availability is usually pretty good on AA metal if you book early though you'll have to another 3 weeks or so before seats become available for May. Also, those itineraries may not be available to book online but if you determine that there is availability they can book them for you over the phone.

London
reviews: 10
2. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

Vegas should not be an issue at all. There's always award seats aplenty I find.

If you're flying routing via LGW to LAS you will not get First, it's only the LHR route that has First.

Are you trying to look for an award flight all the way from Belfast? It might be easier to just book the London/Vegas part seperately. If there's no availibiliy on the Belfast/London route that's where the issue will lie.

Edited: 7:21 am, May 13, 2013
London, UK
reviews: 125
3. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

Well, my experience is the opposite to Little Wong's. I've never managed to get award seats to Vegas, or upgrades to CW from a PE ticket which is what I mostly use my miles for. I think it's a busy, popular route, probably because only BA and Virgin fly non-stop. I've tried searching for less popular days of the week and ages in advance and even called up the exec club helpdesk and saying I'll go any day in May or June and stay for either 5 or 6 nights and still never had any luck. You may need to think creatively and try searching via another, better-served destination - LAX perhaps?

Edited: 7:27 am, May 13, 2013
Edinburgh
reviews: 9
4. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

Use the availability tool on Avios/BA websites - its usually quite accurate in determining availability.

BELFAST
reviews: 43
5. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

Thank you - it's just from London to Las Vegas with BA - there is still nothing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
6. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

Look for flights to PHX or SFO rather than directly to LAS. Southwest have a great many flights from PHX to LAS; both airlines operate out of Terminal 4 at PHX so making the change shouldn't be a pain. WN should have a fair number of flights from and to SFO as well.

Yes, you'll have to pay a bit extra for the flights with WN, but if it means you can book those award seats in First, it will be worth the small spend.

Edinburgh, United...
7. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

"Thank you - it's just from London to Las Vegas with BA - there is still nothing."

And there probably won't be until very close to your departure (if ever). That's why you have to look at other options as previously adviced.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
8. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

If you switch from another airline to WN (Southwest), your bags won't be transferred. Lack of interline agreements. You'll to check in separately with Southwest, and take your bags.

UK
reviews: 4
9. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

Sutter, that's quite true and a good point to raise. though I have done the LHR-PHX then transfer to SN to LAS with no problems at all.

Edinburgh, United...
10. Re: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.

I would personally be hesitant to book separate tickets with a different airline, not just because of the lack of protection should you miss your connection but also because I think you shold be able to find better alternatives. Doesn't mean you need to rule it out (especially if you decide add a few days outside Vegas to your trip), just be aware of the downsides.

Reply to: BA Avios Flights - never any seats available.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted