We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 41
Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

I have an allergy to peanuts and tree nuts. I need to book a flight to europe and can choose between Lufthansa, KLM or British Airways.

Some airlines will offer not to serve tree nuts / peanuts as their onboard snack if they know in advance you have a nut allergy, while some are even willing to do a buffer zone.

I want to choose whichever of these airlines is going to be the most accomodating. If anyone can make recommendations, I'd appreciate it very much!

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

I'd recommend discussing your specific needs with your doctpr then calling the three airlines - they all talk a good talk then conclude with "of course we cannot stop people eating snacks they bring on board". At least one of your three says on the website it will not make announcements, so I presume no buffer, and at least one says their food is not guaranteed to be nut-free.

Doc first, airline second.

UK
reviews: 88
2. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

Some airlines will offer not to serve tree nuts / peanuts as their onboard snack if they know in advance you have a nut allergy, while some are even willing to do a buffer zone.

=======

Which of those airlines steam cleans all seats prior to a flight with an allergy sufferer on board, which would be necessary to ensure that a sufferer wasn't affected by the previous occupant of that seat who may have been munching away on a large bag of dry roasted? Because if you need a buffer zone, then for sure I'd have thought you could be affected by the person who sat there only a couple hours ago.

Answer = none. So, I'd choose on other grounds.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

<<Some airlines will offer not to serve tree nuts / peanuts as their onboard snack if they know in advance you have a nut allergy.>>

They can't stop people that have brought them on board themselves from eating them.

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 150
4. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

This whole 'allergy' thing is really getting out of hand. Since when should 300 other peoples lives revolve around one desperate for attention passenger.

Be mindful of what you eat personally and there is no problem. if, however you problem is so severe that just the thought of a peanut requies an epipen, then i suggest a nice camping holiday in the backyard.

If you cannot travel without affecting others or expecting others to forgo the pleasures they paid for, then do n ot travel.

By the way, my wife has a severe reaction to peanuts and tree nuts. She carries an epipen and i carry a spare. We have needed to use it 3 time in the last 2 years due to unlabelled foods etc. HOWEVER, it does not rule our lives, nor do we expect others to change for us. We are aware of our surroundings, we choose our own foods, we avoid satay stalls-lol.

in short, NO AIRLINE has a fool-proof system. You create your own environment. You choose/pre-buy your own food. And no, the lady in seat 36c does not need to know your allergic history.

London, UK
reviews: 116
5. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

I'm with Douglass4. With all due respect, and sympathy for your allergy which sounds like it must be very severe, I don't think you can reasonably expect any airline to organise special snacks just for you, or ensure no-one sitting near you is eating nuts. I think all you can do is take you own snacks and an epipen and hope for the best.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

Just Google the airline name + peanut policy and you'll be able to find out what is/isn't served on board. Most airlines have stopped serving peanuts completely IME.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 43
7. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

I'd go with BA, inform them of your allergy and then take responsibility for your own safety. Do not expect them to do it for you. The only reason I say BA is that then if there is a crisis you are dealing with an English-speaking (fluent) crew.

My daughter has a nut allergy and I have never even contacted an airline about the fact. I carry an EpiPen (when I remember) and casually peruse the snack packet to ensure it is safe.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 39
8. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

>>>The only reason I say BA is that then if there is a crisis you are dealing with an English-speaking (fluent) crew<<<

I've flown both Lufthansa and KLM on numerous occasions, and I've yet to come across a crew member who didn't have reasonable proficiency with English. Infact there were many who spoke at native levels, and on occasions more grammatically correct than most native speakers.

So I don't think that will be an issue.

Edited: 8:56 am, May 13, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
9. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

"Since when should 300 other peoples lives revolve around one desperate for attention passenger."

Desperate for attention?!? How about desperate to avoid a situation that puts her life at risk. If the airlines have policies that may reduce the risk for this traveler, why attack her for looking to take advantage of those policies?

Wolverhampton
reviews: 25
10. Re: Nut allergy. Which airline to fly - Lufthansa, KLM, or BA?

The issue is the possibility of nuts or nut trace being in airline food. By all means inform the airline of your allergy and let them advise. But this should not stop airlines serving nuts as a snack as you need to be in direct contact with the nuts themselves or nut products. The air change system will deal with any issues and nut traces are not airbourne.