We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schiphol Airport Question

Mason City, Iowa
reviews: 101
Schiphol Airport Question

My wife and I will be traveling from Florence to Amsterdam, arriving Sunday evening at 19:30. Our flight to the USA leaves the next morning at 10:00. We will be staying at the Mecure Hotel within the airport. My guess is we'll be arriving at gate C and leaving the next day from E or F. My question is how do we get our luggage from baggage claim when we arrive to the hotel and how and where do we check our bags in the next day. Will this be a time consuming task? Thanks

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

When you land, follow signs to baggage claim, collect your luggage..... The next morning check in as normal...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
2. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

The hotel has a desk in the baggage claim area.

You have to go back down to "Arrivals" , go through the passport formalities, exit, then back up to "Departues" and repeat formalities again.

Edited: 2:38 am, May 13, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

Both Italy and The Netherlands are within the Schengen area, so no immigration on arrival;-)

UK
reviews: 24
4. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

Two questions:

Is this all one booking?

Do you actually need your baggage overnight?

If it's all one booking you can check your baggage all the way to your final destination. They will keep it at Schiphol overnight. I've done this many many times.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
5. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

>>>Both Italy and The Netherlands are within the Schengen area, so no immigration on arrival;-)<<<

Yes, very good point, I missed they're arriving from Italy.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
6. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

I stayed there once and I don't believe you will be able to have your checked luggage at the Mecure. It is in the secure area near the F gates, so you have to pass through immigration/customs (leaving the EU) to get to it. Your best bet is to have a carry on with what you need for the night and have them check your luggage through.

I had a single on my one stay, and it was close to the tiniest room ever. Single bed against the wall, 13" TV, stand up shower. It was OK for an overnight layover. It has been about five years too, so they may have improved a bit, or the doubles might be nicer.

If you absolutely have to have access to your checked bags overnight, you would be much better selecting another hotel that is outside of the secure zone. The Sheraton and Hilton are attached to the airport, and there are several others that have free shuttles.

UK
7. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

There is also the CitizenM right at the airport - much cheaper than the Hilton and Sheraton, but probably not your kind of place if you need a big room. It's my first choice these days.

UK
8. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

Just thinking about this again... it should be possible to take baggage to the Mercure. It's not in a secure area - security is at the gate for non-Schengen flights.

However, I wouldn't recommend it as it would be such a waste of time.

- Wait for baggage (and baggage reclaim can be very slow at Schiphol...)

- Go upstairs, go through passport control

- Go back through passport control in the morning

- Queue to drop off baggage

- Go through passport control again

This means wasting an hour on arrival, and the same again on departure. Much easier to check the baggage all the way through and just take an overnight bag.

Edited: 11:35 am, May 13, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
9. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

Go upstairs, go through passport control

---------------------------------------------------------

There is no passport control for arrivals from Italy (Schengen).

UK
10. Re: Schiphol Airport Question

"There is no passport control for arrivals from Italy (Schengen)."

This is not about a Schengen arrival, this is about getting to the Mercure which is airside, in the non-Schengen part of the airport.

To get to the Mercure from the baggage hall you do exactly what I said - go upstairs (to Departures), go through passport control to leave Schengen.

I do know Schiphol, just a little bit...