We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking intn'l flight to Bali on cheaptickets or the like?

Danville, California
Booking intn'l flight to Bali on cheaptickets or the like?

I need to book my air travel to DPS from SFO and some fares look tempting on cheaptickets and vayama. I then realize they are consolidators and wonder if the reduced price is worth it? A limited search has me believing maybe not, but would like more seasoned international travelers input. Thanks so much for your input!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
1. Re: Booking intn'l flight to Bali on cheaptickets or the like?

Consistent advice here is to book directly with the airlines. If you choose between the two listed, I'd go Vayama. I will not touch anything with "cheap" in the name. Ultimately, if you don't travel much, and don't want the mostly free domestic ticket you'd be well on your way towards with this one trip, the odds of you encountering significant issues are small enough that if the real price you pay (not the advertised price, that often isn't available) is significantly less expensive (a rare event in and of itself) go for it. But recognize your risk.

Danville, California
2. Re: Booking intn'l flight to Bali on cheaptickets or the like?

thanks for your response... I am starting to lean toward booking direct with airlines.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Booking intn'l flight to Bali on cheaptickets or the like?

>>I am starting to lean toward booking direct with airlines. <<

Keep leaning, that's a much better idea. Though if you can't get decent fares directly from the airlines go to a reputable full service travel agent and see if they can help. The online bookers are a constant source of pain as reported on here.

Also look at Matrix for good fares across a month's spread, and take those to the airline or a full service agent. - http://matrix.itasoftware.com

sheffield
reviews: 2
4. Re: Booking intn'l flight to Bali on cheaptickets or the like?

Before booking, check prices for flights to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore or Jakarta then flights from there to Bali with somebody like Air Asia. You will possibly transit through one of these airports anyway. The price will be considerably cheaper than booking SFO-DPS. I have been doing this for many years without a problem. My next trip there in October I have saved over £250 doing it this way.

5. Re: Booking intn'l flight to Bali on cheaptickets or the like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 15, 2014