We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling internationally with daughter without her father

Indianapolis...
Traveling internationally with daughter without her father

Will I need some sort of legalized document signed by my husband? Our seven year oils and I are going to Europe from the USA and he can not go due to work issues. Didn't know if there was some document we needed to prove that I am not smuggling her out of the country without his permission?

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Traveling internationally with daughter without her father

Edited: 10:00 pm, May 11, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Traveling internationally with daughter without her father

A simple google search brings up this result

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

I would suggest that the note be notarized.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Traveling internationally with daughter without her father

Yes it's a very good idea to carry a notarized letter signed by your husband attesting that they are traveling with his permission. The UK Border Force is clamping down on child abductions (including breach of child custody) and has been known to ask questions.

This line of questioning caused quite a commotion on here last year ("why are they asking these impertinent questions") until they caught someone trafficking minors at Heatbrow. And those arrested were from the US.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5588040…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5624043…

Edited: 11:03 pm, May 11, 2013
Illinois
reviews: 16
4. Re: Traveling internationally with daughter without her father

I always carry a notarized letter from her father giving me permission to travel with my daughter. Usually I have 2, one authorizing me to go anywhere with her at anytime and one for the specific trip we're on. I get the general one updated about every year.

So far, no one's asked me for it in the UK, France, or Italy. I still wouldn't go without it though. I think once one of the Border Control Agents in the UK asked her who I was, she said "my mother" and he let us in.

Madrid
reviews: 7
5. Re: Traveling internationally with daughter without her father

Travelling with my 13 year old son,twice in the USA he has been gently taken to oneside by the TSA and asked if he knew me,and was he happy to be with me.

Took about 30 seconds and I thought was very well handled,so no complaints about the TSA from me.

Second time we were about to head off to Smyth and Wollenski for a nice steak,so he wasn't giving that up without a fight.

6. Re: Traveling internationally with daughter without her father

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 14, 2014