We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icelandair Meals?

New Orleans...
reviews: 1
Icelandair Meals?

Is it true that on transatlantic Icelandair flights (US to Europe with the obligatory, usually short, stopover at Keflavik airport), meals are not included in the fare? I kind of find this hard to believe, even given that they’re about the cheapest way to get to Europe from the States. And if true, can you bring food on the plane to last you the entire journey at the US embarkation instead of purchasing it in-flight?

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Icelandair Meals?

Soft drinks are offered free of charge, but FI have enhanced meal service to buy on board for regular Economy pax. icelandair.ca/servlet/…20Class.pdf The only restraint to a bit of self catering is that you might be asked to finish your meal before disembarking at KEF. There are a number of cafes, restos and shops at KEF where you can buy a hot or cold meal and drink as well.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
2. Re: Icelandair Meals?

Why do you find it hard to believe that they don't serve free meals. LOTS of airlines - even including some US based ones don't serve free meals on international flights!

New Orleans...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Icelandair Meals?

Because I think a planeload of hungry passengers on a long transatlantic flight is asking for a riot up in the air.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
4. Re: Icelandair Meals?

Well you can buy food on board - or bring your own - so no one needs to be hungry.

AND as I say LOTS of airlines don't provide free food - including Jetstar on trans pacific flights. I haven't heard of any hunger riots yet - and they have been doing this for about 6 years.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
5. Re: Icelandair Meals?

JFK to KEF has a flying time of about five and a half hours. SEA to JFK has flying time of just under five and a half hours. Most US-based carriers will offer Economy pax on the latter service a drink, and if they are lucky, a small packet of savoury nibbles. There will probably be buy on board food of varying quality as well (FI's offerings look considerably better than some).

Unless the information has been withheld, I've not heard reports of 'a riot up in the air' on any US domestic transcontinental service because of lack of meal offerings.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 279
6. Re: Icelandair Meals?

The food I've purchased on Icelandair is wretched. Food offered for sale on U.S. carriers is only a notch above. I bring my own now and see myriad passengers doing the same. No one seems concerned about going hungry.

San Francisco
reviews: 16
7. Re: Icelandair Meals?

My wife and I ordered modest airline, marginal, meals with a glass of grocery store, red wine on a 7 hour flight from Seattle and it cost nearly $45 with currency conversion. I sorta think a 7 hour flight should have free meals aboard as most real airlines have for that distance. We didn't pick IA for economy but for itinerary. I now rank the airline along with those low budget box car discount airlines in Europe - definitely not in league with the big boys. I now think those crummy $5 box lunches on United are feasts.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 131
8. Re: Icelandair Meals?

Icelandair used to offer free meals on transatlantic flights, but no more. No free meals for the past few years. No great loss because the free meals were bad, except for the Icelandic butter. You can now buy meals on Icelandair transatlantic flights, not super great quality, but if you're hungry, you're hungry.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
9. Re: Icelandair Meals?

You can take food on board which is probably better than what they would have given you anyway but check out reviews on the www.airlinequality.com website to see if there's any info on the food you an buy on board.

Reply to: Icelandair Meals?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted