We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitcase Tags

Derby, United...
reviews: 62
Suitcase Tags

Hi people :)

What do you put on the tags on your suitcase?

Flight details? Destination? Home address etc...

Whats best?

Thanks

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Suitcase Tags

Instead of putting a tag on the bag I would suggest putting a piece of paper inside a zip or inside the main body of the bag with your name, address, phone number. The airline tag will have all the information needed. If the tag gets ripped off it means staff will still be able to identify your bag.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
2. Re: Suitcase Tags

Name, Phone number, Country.

Not address (that old thing about the airport staff/whoever robbing your house has never really left me :)

I think the purpose of baggage labels is really about being contactable if someone else marches off with your identical-to-his black suitcase, rather than tracking your bags if they go astray.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: Suitcase Tags

Your luggage will be tagged with flight details at check in anyway.

London, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Suitcase Tags

I always put a sheet of a4 inside the case, on top, with my mobile number, my flight details, the hotel details and the dates I shall be there. I don't do tags, the airline tags it.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
reviews: 9
5. Re: Suitcase Tags

NEVER put your home address on show on your luggage, some crooks out there may see it as easy pickings for a burglary...

Regards

Dave

South Pole
reviews: 39
6. Re: Suitcase Tags

permanent tags are just another protuberance to get ripped off and damage your bags.

the A4 sheet with details inside is the way to go.

norfolk
reviews: 30
7. Re: Suitcase Tags

name, destination and hotel on the way out, name and postcode on the way back. but only if the airline insists upon it. MAS do, b.a. do not.

i also put contact details inside.

London, United...
reviews: 22
8. Re: Suitcase Tags

Oh and make sure you put the country dialling code on your mobile number. So for the uk that is 0044 (0) then the number ie 7779 123 456.

Don't assume they will know you are British where ever your bags turn up.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
reviews: 53
9. Re: Suitcase Tags

I put name and email address since this way I can be contacted anywhere anytime.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
10. Re: Suitcase Tags

I have brass tags that clip on to the suitcase or backpack with my initials and surname, business address and work email address. I put my business card inside both the main compartment and the front pocket with the travel itinerary. The clip also clips the zipper ends together.

It is always a question of trying to find a balance between getting your luggage back and giving too much information away. I rarely check bags anyway but I put on the tag to discourage someone from grabbing my bag from the overhead locker by accident.

So far it has worked except when a man on a New York flight deliberately removed my bag and put it in another locker, presumably to make room for his own.