We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

Beaverton, Oregon
Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

I'm flying into the US on Aer Lingus from the UK and must switch to Jet Blue for the final leg to Portland, OR. For the same price, I can either make the switch at JFK (2hr 50min layover) or O'Hare (2hr 25min layover). Which airport is the best choice? Will I have to go through security in either airport for the airline switch? Is one preferable in terms of getting to Jet Blue from where I will clear customs? My baggage will be checked through in either event. Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
1. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

At JFK the 2 airlines are now in the same terminal.

At ORD you have to change terminals so I'd imagine that JFK would be easier.

Edited: 3:10 pm, May 11, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
2. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

Jet Blue does not fly to Portland Oregon from Chicago. They have a very small presence there. According to their website, the only direct flights from ORD are to Chicago, Boston, or Aguadilla in the Caribbean.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
3. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

Generally speaking you ALWAYS have to claim baggage when returning from an international flight. You go through customs with it and then hand it back in. As already said, Air Linguis is now in the same terminal as Jet Blue at JFK.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

For ORD-PDX, Aer Lingus has a code share with United.

At what times are the flights from Dublin (or Shannon)? You have US pre clearance facilities at DUB/SNN, but from what I read that's not available for late flights.

If you do have preclearance then your flight will arrive as a domestic flight and both connection times are fine. I'd choose JFK in that case as you shouldn't have to reclear security.

But if you did have to clear immigration and customs in the US, I'd be looking at 3 hours if you don't hold US/Canadian passports, and 2 hours if you do.

Edited: 11:20 pm, May 11, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 202
5. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

As noted, if you're on a pre-clearance flight you have enough time. But you are running somewhat of a risk if the JetBlue ticket is separate from Aer Lingus. Yes, Aer Lingus does have an interline baggage agreement with JetBlue so your bags will go on. JFK is best choice.

Beaverton, Oregon
6. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

Thanks to all who responded. For these and just a general "buzz" about the hassles of O'Hare, I've opted for the JFK itinerary. Especially good to know about pre-clearance at Dublin to avoid baggage hassle arriving stateside. This will be my first overseas flight since 9/11, so I'm expecting a different experience with customs and airport security than the domestic flying I've done since then. By the way, the Dublin to O'Hare leg would have been on United, not Jet Blue. Still different terminals at the opposite sides of the airport.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 82
7. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

Dublin is not in the UK

kentucky
reviews: 37
8. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

JetBlue/JFK over United/ORD--no contest. Have a great trip. Read TSA.gov info then relax and enjoy the flight!

Beaverton, Oregon
9. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

Noted, and sincere apologies for the unintended affront by omission. I'll be in Scotland and leaving the UK from Glasgow on Aer Lingus. The Republic of Ireland is for another trip - soon, I hope. Meanwhile, Dublin has become, for this journey, a layover and plane change on the way home from Scotland (which, according to recent polls) seems to have a slightly less than even chance of escaping the UK next year.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
10. Re: Choice of JFK vs. O'Hare for a layover/plane change

It may not be relevant if you've already selected the JFK route, but United does not fly Dublin to Chicago. That flight is a code share with Aer Lingus. When you book the flights, be aware if it's a code share. I've seen travelers get really messed up because they thought they were on one airline and were actually one another and went to the wrong terminal at the airport and missed their flight.

The Irish and English have been disagreeing, not always politely, about whether Ireland is in the UK for many centuries. The English seem to believe it is while the Irish understandably do not agree.