We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

Rotorua, New Zealand
reviews: 9
changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

I hope these are not to stupid a questions, but it has been 20 years since my last long haul flight....

I have booked a ticket from Auckland to London via Dubai with Emirates. We fly into Melbourne first but are on the same plane through to Dubai so I assume that we will sit on the plane as the new passengers board. Would this be correct? Then through to Dubai. Our connection is 2.20 hours. Firstly, please confirm that our luggage will just be forwarded to the new flight without us having to do anything. Secondly, I assume that as soon as we get off our flight (same terminal - 3) we should check in for our connecting flight then we are free to wander around the terminal until our call to board. Please let me know if there is anything else I have to do.

Also, how bad is terminal 3 at Dubai airport? Any tips as to what we should do, avoid etc...

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Sandy

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 28
1. Re: changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

If your flight connection is 2.2 hours you will more than likely have to disembark ... I'm presuming you will not even be in the same seats so don't leave anything onboard.... this will all be explained to you on the aircraft. If you have booked all the way to London on Emirates you should not have to check in again at Dubai ... you should be given all your boarding passes in Auckland when you first check-in. Your luggage will be taken care of, hopefully it will meet you in London :) All you need to worry about is if you purchase duty-free in Melbourne or Dubai is how it gets onto the aircraft.

As far as wandering around waiting for the call to board .... don't expect that an announcement will be made, keep your eyes on the screens and make your own way there.

Edited: 2:16 am, May 11, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

Your luggage will be checked through from AKL to LHR and you will get boarding passes for both flights at AKL.

All you have to do at DXB is going through security and proceed to your boarding gate.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

The stop at MEL is 1h35. Same plane going on to DXB and you will have the same seats.

Rotorua, New Zealand
4. Re: changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

Yay..thanks for that info Guys....big relief to know we will have all our paperwork for the whole journey from the onset.

Sorry, I probably didn't make it clear in my OP, my 2.20 hour connection is in Dubai not Melbourne. Thanks Hans_D re the Melbourne stop.

Is it likely we will get off the plane in Melbourne or will we sit on it and wait for the new passengers?

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
reviews: 57
5. Re: changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

You normally disembark taking everything with you as they will likely refuel. Then you will re board to the same seat. Time for a quick leg stretch and not much more!

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
6. Re: changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

You will definatly get off the plane in Melbourne

Rotorua, New Zealand
7. Re: changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

At least it's a valuable chance to have a walk around on what is overall a 20 something hour flight :)) Thanks for all your advise.

8. Re: changing flights on longhaul AKL - LHR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 13, 2014