We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar Airways Customer Service

Silver Spring...
reviews: 17
Qatar Airways Customer Service

We had an excellent resolution to a long, frustrating problem with Qatar Airways. We were double-billed for a December flight from Kathmandu to Cape Town that was booked in November. Customer service by phone was unhelpful, even rude, and told us that bookings made online are "totally separate" from bookings made by phone, so they couldn't help us. Online, there was virtually non-existent customer service; we were only able to post a complaint to their "Tell Us" page, but got back a standard "Thank you for sharing, sorry can't help you" kind of response.

We went through our bank to resolve the dispute over the double-billing, but Qatar ended up cancelling BOTH flights, rather than just the duplicate, just hours before the flight! This left us stranded in Kathmandu with no recourse but to book the same flight that had been cancelled in error at the cost of an additional $438. My bank would not help me recoup that cost, and again I got no help from Qatar Airways online or by phone.

In desperation, I wrote a letter (via US mail, not an email!) to the CEO of Qatar Airways in Doha, explaining the chronology of the problem, and providing documentation of the charges to our bank account. Just over 5 weeks after mailing the letter, I received an email from Qatar Airways' Senior Officer of Customer Care, to whom our letter had been referred by the CEO. He explained that the matter had been fully investigated, and that a "system error" had caused the double-booking, but that their Ecommerce Support Team had acted properly.

HOWEVER, he also said, "We are pleased to oblige your request and reimburse you the amount of $438.73 you paid extra" and expressed regret at the inconvenience and "disappointment that might have been experienced on this occasion." In other words, they did not accept responsibility for making an error, but wanted us to be happy. We were quite surprised, and totally thrilled by this goodwill gesture on the part of Qatar Airways.

There is certainly much room for Qatar to improve their regular Customer Service options, both online and by phone, but I have only high praise for the assistance we received by going to the top of the Corporation. It took perseverance and resourcefulness on our part, but we did eventually receive excellent Customer Care from Qatar Airways.

8 replies to this topic
australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: Qatar Airways Customer Service

Good to see you used the best form of communication (snail mail) to put your case forward...it says you mean business and you can document everything.

Too much "junk" comes through email from people who just want to vent because they can and takes no effort

Yes CEO's (PA) do read mail they receive and have a better idea of how they want their airline to be perceived and run than some dodo head in customer care.

They stuffed up by deleting both bookings left you stranded and charged you more to boot.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
2. Re: Qatar Airways Customer Service

Qatar Airways have had a lot of bad publicity recently, and to be honest, if I had to go through what you did & go to the lengths you did over what, 5 months or so, I wouldn't be too happy with their customer service overall at all, even if the money was eventually repaid

I assume they stated it was a technicall error on the website ? lol.

Kaohsiung, Taiwan
3. Re: Qatar Airways Customer Service

Dear Sir,

I enjoy my four trips with Qatar Airways from Hong Kong to and back from Vienna in the last two weeks. Qatar's gift bag with a tooth brush and paste, an eye-shade, etc., which are very useful during my trips and when I stay in hotels in Europe, has really won my heart.

However, one incident on my trip with Fight QR096 from Vienna to Doha on 15 July made me feel a bit disappointed of Qatar's passenger services. A flight attendant named “Hee” served me less than half a plastic cup full of beer when I asked for a beer TWICE. She also pulled a long face during most of the time of the trip. I’m not so sure if it’s Qatar's policy to cut costs by serving half a cup of beer or not; or it may be just the attendant’s individual act.

By the way, Qatar's "make a complaint" has a bug, which makes it impossible to send messages of complaint!

Meanwhile, I’d like to praise a special cabin crew of Qatar Airways. On my trip from Doha to Hong Kong on 16 July (QR812), I was served by a cheerful attendant. She was not only smiling all the time but paying great attentions to passengers’ needs. I’m really impressed by her excellent services.

Edited: 3:53 pm, July 16, 2013
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
4. Re: Qatar Airways Customer Service

So, you managed to remember the name of the attendant who displeased you, but not the excellent one?

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
5. Re: Qatar Airways Customer Service

So I'm assumming the excellent service she gave you was because she filled your beer glass.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Qatar Airways Customer Service

Qatar Airways (and many other airlines) do never fill the glasses because of chance of turbulence, but they usually give you the beer can also.

7. Re: Qatar Airways Customer Service

May I please have the email address of qatar airways ceo and senior officer of customer care detailed by the ceo to respond as contained in this post kindly?

Edited: 5:36 pm, July 10, 2014
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
8. Re: Qatar Airways Customer Service

I doubt you will get a reply from the CEO.

Reply to: Qatar Airways Customer Service
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted