We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

Clarksville, IN
Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

Why does Trip Advisor continue to send out emails regarding the lowest found air fare and claims it's a "roundtrip price" when in fact it is only for one-way, so fare is double. It is quite aggravating!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

It is one way based on the round trip price.

I don't like it either, but it's how flight prices are quoted by everyone these days.

Clarksville, IN
2. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

Tx for your expedient response, but not the way I read it. The following is the most recent weekly email I received from Trip Advisor, and I copied and paste without altering the text.

Louisville (SDF) to Panama City (ECP)

$316

Best price recently found by travelers*

May June July August September

Lowest Price* $566 $316 $316 $438 $350

Average Price $446 $438 $432 $428 $427

All fares shown are roundtrip.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
3. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

Okay, I went and looked up my last flight e-mail, and in fact they ARE all round trip prices. Why do you think they aren't?

Clarksville, IN
4. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

The last statement reads "all fares shown are roundtrip" and this is directly under the fares (which are in fact one way fares). In a court of law, that's false advertising obviously.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 203
5. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

Not sure what the issue is here. Looking at the fares and doing a quick check, the email you've posted as a sample showing roundtrip fares is actually showing roundtrip fares. It's not one-way fares. It's exactly as it's labeled.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

It's not false advertising if they're ACTUALLY round trip fares. Why do you think they're one way?

norfolk
reviews: 30
7. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

just checked june on kayak. lowest round trip fare found, right now, $350. that is round trip. flying midweek the second week in june.

weekend prices appear to be at least double that figure, which is maybe where your misunderstanding arose.

Edited: 12:50 pm, May 10, 2013
Clarksville, IN
8. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

Trip Advisor sent me an email indicating that trip I'm interested in/signed up for fare on reads:

Louisville (SDF) to Panama City (ECP)

$316

Best price recently found by travelers*

May June July August September

Lowest Price* $566 $316 $316 $438 $350

All fares shown are roundtrip.

I click one of the fare prices, it calculates the real cost of flight with is doubled the listed price! It is a falsehood that, for instance, $316.00 is round trip fare, because it's only one-way. Pretty cut and dry "people" or should I say.....Trip Advisor employee:) BTW- when it comes up to "compare" fares with Expedia, etc..they all show one way fares with these prices, and then calculate the round-trip price after you provide date information. None "during the week" have a round trip for $300.00 something, no less than $400plus.

Edited: 1:13 pm, May 10, 2013
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
9. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

<<or should I say.....Trip Advisor employee...

Oh dear! Credibility just gone out of the window!

Why do people respond with such rubbish just because people don't agree with them?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 66
10. Re: Trip Advisor's emails are Misleading

Here's another TA "employee" ;-) who found round trip fares across the range of those shown in post #2 but as pam_redboots also found, weekend prices are double. It would be helpful if mcehuff gave an actual date of when he/she alleges the round trip fare to be actually a one-way fare.