We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

london
reviews: 7
Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

Can anyone please advise me. Hubby and are will be taking an internal flight from Las Vegas to Chicago with AA. Our international flights are with Virgin Atlantic and we obviously have luggage to check in with them. Nobody seems able to tell me ( including AA) if we will have to pay for the luggage on the internal flight. AA say if you are travelling through from Europe then baggage is free but does that mean only if you are making a connection or if you have originally started your journey in Europe? Its pretty obvious International flyers will have more than just hand luggage so it seems a bit mean if we have to pay but wondered if anyone knows for certain.

11 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

Why is it mean that you have to pay the same as everyone else? You're taking a domestic flight that's completely separate from your international flight - domestic baggage allowance rules apply. And I never have more than hand luggage when I travel internationally - if you don't want to pay for luggage, don't bring more than you can carry on board.

Edited: 10:21 am, May 10, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
2. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

It depends on how the ticket was purchased and if the internal segment is on the same itinerary/confirmation code as the flight purchased through Virgin. The US changed it baggage rules last year. Now, the rules of the marketing carrier pertain to all segments in the itinerary.

Meanness doesn't enter into it in any conceivable manner.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
3. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

If your domestic flight on AA is a connection flight from the international flight then you would normally have the same baggage rules as the international flight.

If the AA domestic flight is separate from the international flight then the normal AA baggage rules apply - $25 for first bag, $35 for 2nd bag unless you're travelling in First or have FF status.

americanairlines.co.uk/i18n/…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
4. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

The OP says it's not a connecting flight.

london
5. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

Yes the internal flight is on the same itinerary and booking as the international flight. Virgin has booked all flights and its shown when I go onto Manage my booking on Virgin Atlantic website. That is what is confusing me, if I had booked a separate internal flight then of course I would expect to pay but as Virgin have it all on the same booking its not clear to me. As for only having hand luggage, if anyone can take a 2 week holiday in two different cities travelling thousands of miles without needing a suitcase then please tell me how you do it.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

I thought you said it wans't a connection. I apologize for giving inaccurate information.

As for how I do it, I just don't bring a lot. I did three cities in three weeks in Greece on my honeymoon with hand luggage: I brought two pairs of pants, one skirt and a dress, and four tank tops, four tee shirts and two cardigans. Everything coordinated, so I mixed and matched. I brought two bathing suits, toiletries in travel bottles, and two pairs of shoes, sturdy walking shoes that I wore on the plane and dressy sandals, plus a pair of flip flops. And enough underwear, that packs up small. Oh, and I was reading The Last Temptation of Christ, so I only needed the one book, it lasted through the trip. And a stack of thank you notes so I could write them when I had time. That was all I needed, and it easily fit in one roll aboard. My small backpack for the plane had my camera, some snacks, my water bottle, my phone, my wallet and passport, and I think a magazine. I think that's it.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
7. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

"Yes the internal flight is on the same itinerary and booking as the international flight." - Whether it's on the same itinerary is not the issue - what will determine the baggage policy is whether the AA flight is an immediate connection from an international flight or a domestic flight after a stopover in your city of arrival in the US.

london
8. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

Tom it's a domestic flight after a week in Vegas so I image that means we have to pay. That's fine but I do wish they would make it clearer on their info page. Last time we took an internal flight in the US we were excused paying when they saw we had started the journey in the UK even though we had been at our first stop for a week so maybe AA will be as generous.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

If it is booked on one itinerary from Las Vegas to London, with a connection in Chicago, it will be an international itinerary. I do not think you'll have to pay a bag fee.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 334
10. Re: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight

It's not exempted from baggage fees if you're not connecting from or to an international flight. If you were flying from LAS to ORD in order to connect to an international fight back home, that'd be different (you wouldn't have to pay a fee and your baggage allowance would be that for international flights, which is higher than for domestic flights in many cases). But just because it's a separate fight that's part of an itinerary starting in another country doesn't make it other than a regular domestic flight subject to fees.

We've experienced exactly the same situation several times. In fact, onetime we flew from Brazil to ATL, and overnighted before flying on to ONT (had to overnight to get the next flight; just stayed at an airport hotel), and we had to pay baggage fees the next day. I've be very surprised if AA exempted you from baggage fees. Imagine how those who had to pay fees would feel. Some people fly from overseas and then make several different flights within the U.S. If you're booked in first class for LAS-ORD, you could be exempt from most baggage fees, but not because you started your trip in the UK.

Edited: 2:57 pm, May 10, 2013
Reply to: Checked luggage on American Airlines flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted