We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

York, United Kingdom
reviews: 25
Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

Hey, any help appreciated - have searched but can only find reference to online check in being unavailable.

Six adults flying Manchester to Orlando tomorrow. Hubby is at work and has just rung in a flap to say that five of the party have been checked in online and boarding passes printed however the sixth (me!) has to present myself at the airport.

To look at the obvious things:

- Name matches passport and all advance passenger info correct

- Esta also matches name and I have printed a copy to confirm OK

- I have no middle name and a very individual real name so should be no confusion

Hubby rung Virgin and they said a sample of 40% of passengers had to physically check in. Hubby queried why I would have to queue by myself when guidelines are that all groups should check in together yet apparently correct. This doesn't sound right at all and ruins the whole morning - we are staying in an airport hotel planned to check in online, drop bags early and go for a leisurely brunch.

Has anybody come across this? Any assistance gratefully received.

London, United...
reviews: 47
1. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

I may be missing something, but I fail to see any real problem. If you were planning to drop the bags off, then won't that desk be open for your flight at the same time as the check-in desk? And there may be less people in the check-in queue than the bag drop line, if 60% have used OLCI.

Apologies if I've missed seeing the problem.

York, United Kingdom
2. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

John, in my experience the bag drop queue is significantly shorter than the general online check in queue (last time I did "general" check in with Virgin I was queuing for over 2 hours and had to be called to the front of the queue as flight was leaving). So if they are through in 10 mins but I am significantly longer then we have a disconnect.

The key issue is splitting up the group - I am not even the lead passenger so I will have an e-ticket for all six of us where five could already be through security on their printed boarding passes. Also we have pre-booked seats which are only confirmed when check in completed. If queue is long and I don't complete check in two hours before flight leaves no seat is guaranteed I could also be sitting on my own.

Fair enough that we have to check in at the airport - it's what we all did before online check in was invented - but why do I have to go by myself????

Norfolk England
reviews: 74
3. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

Hi

Should not be a problem, it may even be quicker at the check in counter! Others queue at bag drop, you, in check in line where they will take your bags. Hardly anyone these days does airport check in, unless, like you requested. Just aim to be there when check in opens, 3hours before flight, I belive.

Clive

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

< but why do I have to go by myself???? >

Department of Homeland Security. Something has raised a flag about you, there's probably an EvilDoer called YorkshireBunny and they want to be certain you aren't him.

York, United Kingdom
5. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

I guess if they have rubber gloves ready I should be really worried.

norfolk
reviews: 30
6. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

oh alan, that's mean!

really, they already told you why. a certain % of people have to check in in person to ensure that their systems work as they should. and you don't have to go on your own. you can all go together and the others can drop their bags while you check in.

London, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

It's no big deal, you stand in one queue, the others the other queue. Get there fifteen or twenty mins ahead of it opening and be first in the queue.

You may have a name similar to someone on the no fly list. It happens to me all the time, I go to the us quite regularly and have never been able to complete check in on line and always have to have my docs checked at the airport, so it's very obviously not random for myself. It could be the same for yourself and hence why you are being split from the group. However once they check your docs, they check you in and you are good to go. No biggie, just slightly irritating but understandable.

York, United Kingdom
8. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

I can live with slightly irritating. The immediate panic was obviously that something had happened and I wouldn't get on flight.

Thanks for reassurance.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

Yep, you are absolutely fine, you have your documentation in order ie a valid passport and esta. Expect a few questions, ie why are you going, where are you staying, will you move anywhere else, and some general chit chat, which is really designed to gauge your reactions, or that's what I get anyway. A few mins and you are through.all pretty harmless and remember the staff are just doing their jobs, it's not remotely personal, so just answer calmly, be pleasant and it's no issue at all.

Don't throw your toys out of the pram and demand " why me" . No one likes that:-p

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
10. Re: Virgin online check in - 1 of 6 has to check in at airport

Hi

Although I go through airport security with ease whenever I am going to get on a ferry to or from the UK my car is always searched and crazy questions asked, the best one was 'why are you going to Disneyland Paris?' And I had two young kids in the back. This has been going on for twenty years, I know my name flags up something but I have no idea what that is. I just factor it into my travel time.

If you have a morning flight could you not check in the night before and get all the hassle out of the way.

Have a good trip

Jackie