We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

Irvine, California
reviews: 145
Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

You may think you do get more luggage weight allowance since you get upgraded to first class by using your miles for that flight. However, I have an itinerary that is very long (5 flights, containing both domestic and international), and I upgrade the third flight (domestic). Now, all of the flights except the last international one allow me to check-in 70 pounds-per-piece luggage.

I'm confused. Anybody knows a formal reason for this?

UK
reviews: 90
1. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

I'm confused. Anybody knows a formal reason for this?

========

Since you don't mention the airline(s), or what gaps there are between these flights, or what class you are flying in internationally, no, haven't got a clue.

Edited: 2:21 am, May 10, 2013
Madrid
reviews: 7
2. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

More information required.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

Yup, more info required.

You're going to have to post details of every flight, airline, date(s), origin and destination of each flight, and whether they're on the same ticket or separate tickets .... for anyone to be able to properly comment.

Irvine, California
4. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

Wow, you guys are great. I totally forgot to mention the details.

So here it is, and I quote them from the confirmation emails.

My carrier is United. I'm on a multi-city itinerary from Beijing to SFO to LAX to CMH to EWR to Beijing.

Before I upgraded the LAX to CMH flight, my baggage allowance is:

5/18/2013 Beijing, People's Republic of China (PEK - Capital) to San Francisco, CA (SFO) 50.0lbs (23.0kg)

5/19/2013 San Francisco, CA (SFO) to Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 50.0lbs (23.0kg)

5/20/2013 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Columbus, OH (CMH) 50.0lbs (23.0kg)

5/23/2013 Columbus, OH (CMH) to Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) 50.0lbs (23.0kg)

5/24/2013 Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) to Beijing, People's Republic of China (PEK - Capital) 50.0lbs (23.0kg)

Now it is:

5/18/2013 Beijing, People's Republic of China (PEK - Capital) to San Francisco, CA (SFO) 70.0lbs (32.0kg)

5/19/2013 San Francisco, CA (SFO) to Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 70.0lbs (32.0kg)

5/20/2013 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Columbus, OH (CMH) 70.0lbs (32.0kg)

5/23/2013 Columbus, OH (CMH) to Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) 70.0lbs (32.0kg)

5/24/2013 Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) to Beijing, People's Republic of China (PEK - Capital) 50.0lbs (23.0kg)

I have the credit card so my two bags are free. But I thought I should get 70 pounds only for the flight I upgraded.

Any ideas?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 105
5. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

The upgrade is only one-way.

The return flight has not been upgraded.

Irvine, California
6. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

Hi DarthAnonymous

That's not the case. This is not a roundtrip ticket, but a multi-city one.

The correct scenario in my mind should be I got 70 pound allowance only for the upgrade segment, LAX to CMH. Instead, all the segments except the last international one have 70 pound allowance.

Also, I just bought another multi-city ticket from SFO to LAX to JFK, and upgraded the latter segment. Now, my SFO to LAX stays 50 pounds, whereas LAX to JFK now allows 70 pounds.

Was that a computer glitch or something?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 105
7. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

"That's not the case. This is not a roundtrip ticket, but a multi-city one."

It is indeed the case. Technically, it may be considered round-trip with stopovers. PEK-United States-PEK All of the US locations may be considered a single region, and therefore part of the same destination. That is precisely what is being observed in the change in baggage rules with a single segment's upgrade.

If you did Asia-Europe-N America-Asia, you have a stronger argument for multi-city for multi-region, but then your attempt to upgrade one major leg still does not apply to all major legs.

On the other hand, if the operator of the segments changes, an upgrade on one segment will not be observed on the others.

You want to provide us with more information to understand the SFO-LAX-JFK route. Who sold the ticket? A change in operators may also affect the regulations. Also if you upgrade only a single segment, you have not upgraded both segments.

If anything, you lucked out on getting the entire PEK-EWR routing with the upgrade on baggage. Technically, if you do not upgrade the entire routing, you do not get an upgrade on baggage for the entire routing.

Upgrades occur on a per segment basis, not per trip.

If you upgrade the international portion, you will also have access to international first class lounges. But if you upgrade only a United States domestic portion, you will not have access to any first class lounges.

Edited: 2:54 pm, May 13, 2013
Irvine, California
8. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

Hi DarthAnonymous

Thanks for your explanation.

The ticket is purchased through United.com. Also the upgrade is done through United.com as well.

I understand your perspective that all the destinations inside US are considered one region, therefore when I upgrade LAX to CMH, I got more luggage allowance for the whole PEK to EWR route. This is the only reasonable explanation so far IMO. More possibly, I lucked out.

But still, the way that makes the most sense IMO is that I got more luggage allowance for only the segment I upgraded. However, getting free stuff always isn't bad.

Madrid
reviews: 7
9. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

As DarthAnonymous pointed out,united consider this itin an out and return with stopovers.Upgrading 1 of the sectors on the out portion got yo a baggage allowance increase for all the flights out.

I bet you can upgrade your allowance for the return by upgrading 1 of those flights also.

I would say United are being pretty generous with this.

Irvine, California
10. Re: Getting more luggage weight allowance by miles upgrading?

Interestingly, I have 5 segments, with the international ones on both ends, and the one I upgraded right in the middle. You can say it's the outbound or inbound.

When upgrading one segment right in the middle, all segments except the EWR to PEK have 70 pounds. Therefore, it only leaves me the last international segment to upgrade for me to get 70 pounds on that last segment.