We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

Northampton, United...
reviews: 74
FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

Hi,

Flying flybe next week, the website states you can have 1 piece of hand luggage 10k max It doesn't make it clear whether ladies' handbags are classed as hand luggage.

For example BA allows a hangbag and a piece of luggage

Whereas Easyjet will literally only allow one piece including handbags.

Do you know which way flybe stands, I presume it's literally 1 piece. [stuff your handbag in your wheelie case!]

19 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 14
1. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

I'm pretty sure they only allow the one bag, normally weighed at check in. Thats right, just stuff your handbag inside the 10kg bag when you check in.

Exeter, United...
reviews: 45
2. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

Look on their website. My recollection is that it is one item plus a handbag for females. However that was before the new three tier pricing structure.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 78
3. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

It's always been one piece of luggage, no extra handbag. Just put your handbag inside your luggage during check in, and when at the gate, then take it out once you are on board. Don't worry too much about putting it back in when leaving the plane, they don't mind how much you take off the plane!

UK
reviews: 89
4. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

My recollection is that it is one item plus a handbag for females

======

There is no way that would be allowed under sex discrimination laws..

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
reviews: 6
5. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

Flybe hand luggage rules as taken from their website.

Essentials

<<Essentials passengers are entitled to carry one piece of hand baggage on board Flybe’s aircrafts. The maximum permitted dimensions, including the bag's handles and wheels for your hand baggage item are 55 x 40 x 23cm and it should not exceed 10kg in weight.

Baggage sizers are provided at the check-in to ensure that your hand baggage is within your permitted allowance. Should your hand baggage exceed these dimensions, it will be required to be placed in the hold and standard airport hold baggage charges will apply. Please note that we may apply an additional charge of £50 for any oversized bag checked in at the departure gate. Should your hand baggage exceed the permitted weight allowance of 10kg, it will be required to be placed in the hold and standard airport hold baggage charges will apply.Where allowances are exceeded, excess baggage charges may apply>>

Ladies handbags have to be able to fit inside the one piece of hand luggage stated above.

Angie.

Stockport, United...
reviews: 57
6. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

We're booked to Paris (from Manchester) with Flybe but are actually flying with Air France. What we need to know is whether the weight limit for cabin baggage is 10kg (as stated by Flybe) or 12kg (as stated by Air France). We don't want to arrive with 12kg and be charged extra even though it's within the Air France limit. Does anybody know which limit applies please?

UK
7. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

It must be the operating carrier, AF in your case.

If it wasn't, Air France would have to look at every single passengers ticket, find out who they booked through, and adjust weight accordingly. Or if the booking was in the opposite way, you had booked FlyBe through AF, FlyBe would have to have a list of exceptions to their weight and more. Suppose AF or someone else allows two pieces, then they would be checking each passeger differently.

Just not practical to do that for hand luggage.

Edited: 3:04 am, May 21, 2013
Stockport, United...
reviews: 57
8. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

Thanks Joe. That's what we were hoping.

There are also anomalies with the maximum size of cabin baggage. The maximum width for Air France is slightly less than for Flybe. As I guess it will be Air France at the gate, I assume that the lower width applies. They could make things like this clearer on their web sites - or even standardise on maximum weights and sizes. Dream on.

UK
9. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

As I guess it will be Air France at the gate, I assume that the lower width applies

=====

Again I'd say it must be or they would need a variety of luggage cages at the gate to check out luggage from all the different airlines people might have booked through :-)

Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 1
10. Re: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials

Can I have a notebook bag and a small briefcase as hand luggage?

Reply to: FlyBe Hand Luggage Essentials
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted