We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 1
Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

Actually would appreciate all input on which of these major airport cities/ airports is preferred for arrival in Italy: Venice, Florence, Rome, Milan. We're budget-driven but also flexible as to our itinerary and appreciate ease-of arrival in any new country. Thank you!

Laurie & Grant

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
1. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

I would try to avoid Rome if possible as it's not a very organized airport, so any of the other 3 however Venice and Florence are smaller so are more efficient.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

I don't know prices from your nearest home airport.

That may be a factor for you?

I have flown into both Venice and Rome and for me price and convenience would be my deciding factor.

I'd compare prices and flight times into all the airports and then just pick the one that suits me best for the itinerary I'd have planned. For my trips I would use Venice to spend time in the north of Italy and Rome to spend time going south. I would not try to "do the whole country " in one short visit but you may have other ideas about that.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
3. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

It's likely that you will be connecting to fly into anything but Rome. The easiest arrival would be Florence as you will have cleared customs and immigration someplace else (Frankfurt?) and the airport is quite small.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

You clear customs at final destination;-)

London, United...
reviews: 22
5. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

I've flown into them all, and none of them are bad, little to pick and chose between them other than size.

Go for price and convenience.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
6. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

In my experience when entering Italy from the USA,, going through customs consists of walking through a line which says"nothing to declare". It is a NON-event. Your passport will be stamped and then you walk past the non declare line and you are set.

Nashville, Tennessee
7. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful.

albuquerque
reviews: 18
8. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

Pisa is another option. You would likely fly from the US to Munich and then to Pisa via Air Dolomiti which is run by Lufthansa. Pisa is convenient if starting in Pisa, Lucca, Cinque Terre. Munich is a much better airport for transfers than Frankfurt.

Singapore
reviews: 105
9. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

Florence and Venice are smaller airports so you may have less flexible flight options. For me on an international flight from Asia it's either Roma or Milan in which case, no-brainer, go for Milan. Good subway and bus connections to the central train station (or even take a train from the airport station), and I have an easy high speed connection to Venice or Florence. Buy your train tickets in advance on trenitalia's website.

Nashville, Tennessee
10. Re: Want input for arrival airport in Italy: Venice vs Rome

Thanks so much! This was extremely helpful!