We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Cash Passport (compensation)

Maidstone, United...
reviews: 16
BA Cash Passport (compensation)

I was given a Cash Passport loaded with 250 euro at Venice airport last night by BA. Unfortunately, the airport ATM was out of order and I am now back in the UK.

I have no plans to visit any country that uses the euro in the forseeable future and the card is only valid for three months.

However, I will be back at Gatwick in three weeks time, flying elsewhere.

Not having any knowledge of this type of card, what are my options for obtaining the cash?

Can I draw it out in the UK and if so, what are the implications?

If not, is there an ATM at Gatwick that will issue euro, in which case, I can beat the three month deadline and hang on to the cash for future use?

Thanks for any advice.

UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: BA Cash Passport (compensation)

Not sure if you can use it in the high street, but if you are flying from the north terminal there are 2 ATM's that you can draw out Euro. Find the premium services entrance and they are to the left of it.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
2. Re: BA Cash Passport (compensation)

Im not exactly sure how a cash passport works but I would think €250 will just be the value on the card and you can probably withdraw the sterling (or any other currency) equivalent from any machine or country you choose.

:-)

Edited: 5:22 am, May 07, 2013
Maidstone, United...
3. Re: BA Cash Passport (compensation)

Thanks for both replies.

FYI a Cash Passport is generally loaded with Sterling, Euro or US Dollars for specific use in those areas. Hence, I believe that the card will be in Euros as I was in Venice. It would make sense to be able to draw it as GBP but I do not know if I will get a poor exchange rate or how to withdraw every penny as it will likely be an 'odd' amount.

mickt: Are the ATMs that you mentioned before security? I ask as I will be travelling from Gatwick South next time.

UK
reviews: 13
4. Re: BA Cash Passport (compensation)

Yes, they are. Head towards the BA check in area, look for the premium service I think it is called, black and silver sign. As you look go to the left and they are there.

Maidstone, United...
5. Re: BA Cash Passport (compensation)

Fantastic - thanks for your help.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
6. Re: BA Cash Passport (compensation)

You can load cash passport type cards with currency to use in a particular place, eg Euros for Europe, but you can also use them in other countries to withdraw currency there, eg Kunas in Croatia. (Cash passports have a fairly limited range of currencies you can load them in.)

But, be aware the exchange rate is not the best one you will get.

Maidstone, United...
7. Re: BA Cash Passport (compensation)

I have looked into the details on the BA website and they state that you can withdraw cash in other currencies and the rate will be the one set by MasterCard itself (which is about the best you can get).

HOWEVER; if you do take cash that is not the 'loaded' currency', there is an added 5.75% weighting (my partner also received the same amount and at current exchange rates the full 500e taken as sterling would cost more than £24 between us). The 5.75% weighting also applies to spending in a country whose currency is different to what is loaded on the card.

And of course, there will also be the remaining 'odd amount' that an ATM cannot dispense due to exchange rates.

So I have decided that when I pass through Gatwick in two weeks time, on my way to Croatia, I will withdraw the full amount in euro and convert it to Kuna at local banks as and when required.

Edited: 2:46 am, May 08, 2013
8. Re: BA Cash Passport (compensation)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 10, 2014