We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

New York
Destination Expert
for Seoul, South Korea
I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

Hi, I am researching for flight tickets from JFK (New York) to ZAG (Zagreb, Croatia) around August 30, 2013. From Kayak, the cheapest ticket I found was Lufthansa – Flight 411, departs from NYC at 5: 40 pm and arrive at Munich, Germany on 7:55am. Then transfer to Lufthansa – Flight 5988 to Zagreb, which departs at 8:55 pm. I also saw small byline that this flight will be operated by Croatia Airlines.

Usually I would like to have more than 1 hr for transferring, but my next option has 4 hr wait between two flights, which seems bit too long to be stuck at the airport. I also think since this is single ticket, Lufthansa will assist me to make my next flight within one hour?

Can anyone tell me how quick and efficient is the immigration procedure at Munich airport? Are the gates are spread apart like CDG at Paris? I had a pretty bad experience with immigration and transfer at CDG six months ago, so if Munich airport is similar, then I would rather wait 4 hrs...

South Pole
reviews: 37
1. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

munich is one of the few airports in the world where a I hour transfer doesn't phase me at all.

it is super efficient as is (normally) Lufthansa.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
2. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

"I also think since this is single ticket, Lufthansa will assist me to make my next flight within one hour?" - I wouldn't assume that they will help you through immigration but they will put you on the next available flight if you miss the connection.

One hour is very tight in my opinion bearing in mind your incoming flight could be delayed and you normally have to be at the departure gate around 15 - 30 minutes before departure, even if you make it your luggage might not.

I'd personally go for the 4 hour connection as it's a stress free connection and you can easily put in the time in the airport.

South Pole
3. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

i will stand corrected but I don't think u would go thru any immigration procedures in munich on the way to croatia.

Rockaway, New Jersey
reviews: 55
4. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

Lufthansa flights have always been early arriving from the US in my experience and Munich airport is tiny (relatively speaking) so one hour is fine. We had one hour at Frankfurt once and that place is an entirely different story....

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
5. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

When we arrived in Munich on the way to Italy, we did have to go through immigration. Not sure if Croatia would be the same.

That said, it was very easy and quick. No lines at all. We could have made our transfer in an hour, but just barely. Probably it took 30 minutes to de-plane, get to immigration, go through, and find and walk to the next gate. The second flight would have been boarding. My personal preference is to have the extra time in case of problems, so I'd take the next flight for four hours. With only one hour, if there's any issue delaying departure from JFK, you'll be running through the airport.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 77
6. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

I traveled from Atlanta to Munich on Delta, then from Munich to Dubrovnik on Lufthansa. We allowed for a 3 hour connection, and had about 1.5 hours to spare. Even though Munich is an incredibly efficient airport, we had to go through immigration, claim our bags (baggage claim is very close to passport control, and our bags were already there even though we were among the 1st off the plane), go to the next terminal to check in with Lufthansa (online check-in is fastest), drop our bags, then go to the next gate. If your bags are checked all of the way through, you would be able to avoid going to the Lufthansa counter, so the process would be faster. I did observe though, that the Lufthansa flight started boarding later than US flights usually board, and still left on time.

Edited: 7:01 pm, May 06, 2013
South Pole
7. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

I doubt on the one Lufthansa ticket with 2 connecting LH flights ( even tho one is code share) u would have to collect bags and recheck.

and I still have reservations about whether there would be an immigration check.

is Croatia part of Schengen?

I would think it would be a walk from one gate to another.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
8. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

Just checked. Croatia is not yet a Schengen country, which should mean no passport control in Munich as you'll be transiting rather than entering the country.

NomadicForever
reviews: 16
9. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

All LH flights arrive in T2. Unless Croatian is a Staralliance member you have to switch terminals. This can be confusing and a longer trek. Do not expect LH to help you to get to the other gate wherever this may be. Immigration can be fast or slow, friendly or awkward. Croatia is not an EU member, not Schengen. I think they will join shortly. Munich airport has a website. You can check which T Croatia uses.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: I hr transfer time at Munich Airport. It this enough time?

Croatia Airlines IS in Star Alliance.

Edited: 2:32 am, May 07, 2013