We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

London, United...
reviews: 18
UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums but I'm hoping I might be able to get a bit of advice.

I'm going to visit a friend in Adelaide in September and would like to book my flights in the next few days but can't decide who I should fly with. I have personal recommendations for Singapore Airlines to Australia, recommendations from people who have flown with Emirates but not to Australia and then Quantas (who I know the least about) have the cheapest flights.

Although obviously I would like it be as cheap as possible, it's not the deciding factor for me with such a long haul flight as it will be my first time travelling alone so I'd just like to be in relative comfort etc

Any advice? :)

p.s. also is it better to book direct with an airline (slightly higher prices) or 3rd party website (cheaper)?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!

28 replies to this topic
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

Book direct with the airline - even the price is a bit higher.

london
reviews: 31
2. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

I have flown all airlines to Australia two or three times a year for many years.

I'd go with Royal Brunei. They are alcohol free, but extraordinarily friendly, and it's a very easy flight. You would need to change to a domestic flight in Melbourne for Adelaide, but the Royal Brunei experience is delightful.

For comfort and being looked after well I'd also consider the longer flight time and travel Air New Zealand via Los Angeles and Auckland.

Malaysian Airlines are very roomy too and have direct Adelaide connections from Kuala Lumpur I believe.

Thai Airways are very good also.

Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Qatar are OK.

AVOID THE FOLLOWING LIKE THE PLAGUE: Virgin Atlantic, Qantas, BA, Emirates, Korean, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, KLM, and any airline with the word CHINA in it. Hope this helps.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

You say Emirates are OK, and then 'avoid them like the plague';-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
4. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

AVOID THE FOLLOWING LIKE THE PLAGUE

--------

If you could expand a little more on that it might be useful. I've taken hundreds of flights across your list of "avoid" airlines and can't say I've had any experiences to elicit such a strong reaction.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 29
5. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

My advice would be to book with an airline that will fly you directly to ADL. My choices would be Qantas, Singapore Emirates or Malaysia.

Really they are all much of a muchness.

QF and EK now codeshare and you will have a stopover in Dubai. SQ will have a stopover in Singapore.

I would NOT fly to MEL and then on to ADL. Many international flights actually arrive in MEL late at night meaning you would need an o/night stop because we have a 10.30pm curfew in ADL.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
6. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

>>>Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Qatar are OK.

AVOID THE FOLLOWING LIKE THE PLAGUE: Virgin Atlantic, Qantas, BA, Emirates, Korean, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, KLM, and any airline with the word CHINA in it. Hope this helps<<<

That right there is the reason why Skytrax steers clear of using consumer feedback for their ratings.

I'm with nozzie, fly direct to ADL, waste of time, money and energy flying via MEL.

Loughborough...
reviews: 18
7. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

AVOID THE FOLLOWING LIKE THE PLAGUE: Virgin Atlantic, Qantas, BA, Emirates, Korean, Cathay Pacific, Lufthansa, KLM, and any airline with the word CHINA in it. Hope this helps.

------------------------------------

Utterly ridiculous. Cathay Pacific is widley considered one of the best airlines in the world. Most of the others in your list are well above average and certainly no worse than your personal favourite, Royal Brunei.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
8. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

My goodness most of my favourite airlines are amongst your "avoid like the plague" list.

Hannah, check out reviews for the ame route of all your airline options on the airlinequality website:

www.airlinequality.com

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
reviews: 217
9. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

I agree with other posters in that I would not go via Melbourne. In terms of flying from the UK to Adelaide with only one stop I believe the options are Cathay Pacific ( via Hong Kong ), Emirates ( via Dubai ), Malaysian ( via KL ) and SIA ( via Singapore ).

All are of a comparable standard if you are flying economy so the decision then comes down to price and/or length of journey

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 61
10. Re: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?

Another vote for direct to ADL - I Like SQ, EK or CX for this trip. - I havent caught the plaugue on any of these airlines even though Ifly them regularly. I did however experience a headache after flying on one of those carriers once, but I think that was because I must have consumed a "crook" ice cube in one of the 1,745 drinks of alcohol I consumed on the flight. - Ya gotta watch out for those crook ice cubes, the headache was nothing to do with the alcohol of course!

Reply to: UK to Adelaide, Australia - which airline?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions