We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using virgin air miles

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Using virgin air miles

I am collecting my virgin Atlantic air miles and hoping to visit Las Vegas next year. Can you use your air miles on flights that are in the sale?

UK
Level Contributor
47,878 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Using virgin air miles

Whether flights are in a sale is irrelevant, all that matters is are there vacancies on the website for air miles points flights. So have a look and see. I suspect you'll find they are few and far between because I know this is one of Virgins most popular routes.

Madrid
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Using virgin air miles

all that matters is are there vacancies on the website for air miles points flights.

Requirement 2 is that you have sufficient miles.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Using virgin air miles

We find it quite hard to use our air miles as only a few seats are allocated on certain flights. As the others have said, just have a look at the days you want to fly and see if you can use them. I'm sure you know this but you will still have to pay the taxes etc on the flights and that may well come to almost half the cost of the ticket you would have had to pay for.

uk
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Using virgin air miles

As mentioned above, you need to pay taxes and fees, but you will find that in economy class, this can be almost the same as just buying an ticket, especially if you can get a sale fare.

Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Using virgin air miles

If you're flexible with dates, you're much more likely to be able to find miles flights. This table shows you how many miles you need to fly to different destinations: virgin-atlantic.com/tridion/images/spendingo… You'll see that you get much better value for your miles flying Upper or PE than Economy, which might only save you a couple of hundred pounds once you've paid taxes.

You're also more likely to find miles flights to destinations that Virgin fly to multiple times a day, like New York, than somewhere they have fewer flights to.

In addition, Virgin periodically have reward flight sales, where you need fewer miles to fly.

UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Using virgin air miles

The tax payment due is higher in PE and UC though. By a few hundred pounds.

7. Re: Using virgin air miles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 08, 2014