We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Website to look up actual seat availability

Illinois
reviews: 16
Website to look up actual seat availability

I think there's a website I've seen on here (that TP uses?) that will tell you actual seat availability, but I can't remember the site. Does anyone know? I'm looking at the UA seat map and there are only 5 seats showing, all premium seats I'd have to pay for, so I was wondering how accurate that was. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

Expert flyer?

KVS Availability Tool?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
2. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

I would trust the UA seat map over any others.

UK
reviews: 84
3. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

TP uses expert flyer,which you can sign up if a free trial for. It shows how many seats are available in each class up to a maximum of 9 (eg will show 9 whether there are 9,10, or 99) but it won't show which ones.

I'm not sure the point of your enquiry though, if expert flyer shows there are say 3 seats left in the class you want, but the airline website says zero, you can't force them to sell you one !

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

Also other sites may show seats available but the airline itself may have them blocked off for airport and T-24 check in passengers.

They don't always release all seats immediately.

:-)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
5. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

There's not really a reliable website for this you just have to wait until you can check in to get the actual situation.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

Sure?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

If you're looking for a "better" >>seat map<< .... for seat selection ....than that offered by the airline ... showing available seats not available on the airline website ..... then the answer is NO!

The airlines do hold back (ie block) seats, but those are held back for assignment on at check in and in many cases physically at the airport. They're held back to deal with the many concerns we see on here - eg. families with children not seated together, and couples that NEED to be seated together for genuine reasons. No third party website is going to be given the inside info on those blocked seats to allow people to game the system.

Edited: 4:02 am, May 03, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
8. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

Quite. Any third-party web site would have to rely on information provided by the airlines, and the airlines are not going to give out information that is not on their web sites.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
reviews: 63
9. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

Go with the airline seating map, its pretty accurate, we fly Delta but are medallions and get EC seating at no cost plus can pick premium seats when we book but I always check seating charts to see what is available. You can always call the airline and ask if a certain seat or seats are available and ask to be assigned but that also depends on the airline and how flexable they will be.

Illinois
reviews: 16
10. Re: Website to look up actual seat availability

It's not so much which seat she gets, but whether we should pay for E+ just so she'll have "a" seat assigned. If they're going to open them at 24 hrs, that's fine as she'll check in online at 24 hours. I've never had a flight overbooked out of our home airport, only coming home, but I don't usually fly United. If the flight is overbooked, it seems to me that you're better off with a seat assignment than without, but I don't know any actual policy to that effect.

I did do the free trial on Expert Flyer, and it shows 3 blocked seats, the 5 that United shows available, and 19 more. All of the ones they show as available are E+, but not shown as occupied. There's only one E+ seat shown as occupied at check in. I know they give out E+ seats for free at check in (at least I think I know that) once the regular economy seats are all booked. The flight is on a Embraer R145 and only a couple hours long, so not really worth paying for E+ in my opinion other than to get a seat assignment.

She already has a ticket, just not a seat assignment for that leg of her flight.