We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E-certificate from United Airlines

Stratford...
E-certificate from United Airlines

Back in July 2009, I received an E-certificate. At the airport, the gave me a number because the flight had to be postponed. They did not give me a paper certificate, only a number to put on paper. I received a number that began with the usual numbers for E-certificates. I have had no reason to fly until this year again. On united.com, I entered my E-certificate number and it said I "already redeemed the certificate". I contacted a representive from United, and they told me that my certificate got redeem in late 2010, though that's not true at all. I'm thinking it possibly expired? They did not tell me that the E-certificate had an expiration date, though I'm curious if E-certificates have expiration dates? I'm not a frequent flier, that's reason I don't know the entire details about this stuff. I assumed that I could use this certificate at any time, though it's starting to seem that it's going to happen. I'd really like go on a trip this year and had hope that I could possibly use this to help cut expenses.

DC
reviews: 1
1. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

They expire in one year.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

They expire - at least nowadays - one year after they're issued. And these days they're issued electronically (via the web and email).

Whether that was the case back in 2009 I don't know. But also remember that "2009 United" has also switched reservation systems since then. So the status "redeemed" may be a consequence of switching to Shares in 2012.

I think you'll have a very difficult time getting anything out of it four years later.

Edited: 11:22 pm, May 02, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 242
3. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

They definitely expire and there's no chance one form 2009 would still be valid.

Stratford...
4. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

That's unfortunate :\ I'll try one last time to contact them, though it'll probably have no luck. Does anyone know of any sites that have great deals on flight tickets? It seems like you can never find any tickets under $200.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 100
5. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

Agree with the others. These certificates do have an expiration date on them, which is one year. Your e-cert is long gone, and that's probably why their computer system said it was "used". I wouldn't waste my time on hold with UA as they aren't going to extend a four year old e-cert.

Myrtle Beach, South...
reviews: 52
6. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

We have an e-certificate because we changed flights and new flight was less money than original. The certificate is good fof a year, but does that mean you have to take another flight within a year, or just redeem certificate for another flight within a year. Can I buy a ticket for say 15 months from now? I could not find the answer at united.com.

UK
reviews: 90
7. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

Can I buy a ticket for say 15 months from now?

------

No, because you cannot buy a ticket more than approximately 11 months in advance.

Land O Lakes...
reviews: 87
8. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

You can use an e certificate to book a future flight originating after the certificates expiration date. BTW - I have a $250 E- Certificate that expires well past the one year period when it was issued.

Albuquerque, New...
9. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

I took United airlines several times but I never get any E-certificate from United Airlines, how can I get it. ?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: E-certificate from United Airlines

>> I took United airlines several times but I never get any E-certificate from United Airlines, how can I get it. ?<<

QUAT N,

E-certificates are vouchers towards future flights, given out as compensation or gestures of goodwill to passengers who have been inconvenienced. For example delayed or canceled flights. They don't give them out to people who just fly United a lot.

For those who fly United a lot, there's a separate program. It's the frequent flyer program, and for United it's called MileagePlus. Join that program and you'll get frequent flyer miles that you can use to get free flights.

united.com/web/…default.aspx