We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting in Turkey

Sydney, Australia
Transiting in Turkey

Hi I am about to travel from Rome to Beirut with a transit in Turkey. Will I need a visa in Turkey during the transit? It is on the same ticket so I assume I will not be leaving the airport.

Please help me.

Thank you

NZ
reviews: 26
1. Re: Transiting in Turkey

The answer includes two questions. Are you travelling on an Australian passport and are you flying in and out of the same airport? Istanbul has two - IST (Ataturk) and SAW (Sabiha Gocken).

If yes to both - you will stay airside and not need a visa.

If you have about say 8 hours during the day/early evening between flights you may like to have a quick look at Istanbul city and for that on an Australian passport you would need a visa. Recently the option of a prepaid electronic visa has become available although it is just as easy to pay at the visa counter before reporting to the immigration queue.

If you are not travelling on an Australian passport you need to check the regulations on the Turkish embassy website for your particular country as there are a few that require transit visas even if you don't leave airside.

Edited: 11:48 pm, May 02, 2013
Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Transiting in Turkey

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 126
3. Re: Transiting in Turkey

Kay01nz has given great information.

Istanbul Ataturk airport is very busy (too busy, really!). When you get off the plane from Rome, look for the transfer area. It's quite near the immigration queues, but can be hard to find, or at least it was for me. You have to go through security again, then you're back in the main departures area.

I definitely recommend visiting Istanbul if you have enough time in transit. It's an amazingly beautiful city.

NZ
reviews: 26
4. Re: Transiting in Turkey

They have just let the tender for the third airport to be built in Istanbul. Obviously going to take a while to finish but will certainly make things easier

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 126
5. Re: Transiting in Turkey

Yes, I've heard about the third airport being built. Will definitely ease things when it's finally completed.

In the meantime, I'll be travelling Business on TK to escape the crowds in their amazing lounge. What a beautiful space, and how well it shows off Turkish design. Amazing food, 5 star hotel quality showers, and rooms for those on long transfers to sleep/rest in. I've only ever been there at night (most of their Asia flights depart around midnight Turkish time), but it's one of my favourite lounges.

Perth, Australia
6. Re: Transiting in Turkey

Hi

Can anyone tell me if I am transiting through Istanbul on a 5 hour layover, changing airlines will I require a transit visa or sticker of any sort?

I use to have to pay for the sticker visa even though I was not leaving the airport, simply changing flights.

I have an Australian passport but my wife is travelling on an Ethiopian passport. Can anyone clear it up for me?

NomadicForever
reviews: 13
7. Re: Transiting in Turkey

Best to contact the airline or check with the embassy/consulate. You will get reliable info.

8. Re: Transiting in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 04, 2014