We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Frontier has announced they will start charging for carry on baggage for flights booked through a 3rd party site such as Expedia, Orbitz, etc. Flights booked on the Frontier website will be exempt. They have also announced that they will start charging for non-alcoholic drinks such as coffee, tea, etc. See below article for further info,

usatoday.com/story/…

20 replies to this topic
Worldwide
reviews: 536
1. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Thanx for the heads-up.

Looks like they want fewer happy customers - or just fewer customers.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

AS I read it looks as if they are severely penalizing you for use a third party booking site. That is something we never recommend here anyway. AND it makes sense. The article says they want to be a low fare airline.When you book through a third party--the airline has to pay the third party a fee. If the airline wants to fly low fare there isn't much room for extras. So--basically the passenger's choice comes down to--book with us and we'll use X dollars for your luggage or book with them and we'll use the same X dollars to pay them their commission.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Frontier has been making a transition to a (ultra) LCC for a while. I've been following the posts on Cranky Flier.

crankyflier.com/category/airline/frontier/

So I guess they're making the next move into uLCC space and copying Spirit.

The problem with doing this (only) for flights booked via third parties is - as we know - those who go through online bookers are those least likely to read the T+Cs, and so get burned more frequently.

Brace yourselves for many more "Don't Fly ..." posts.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
4. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

I'm wondering if the 3rd party websites will advise the clients that they'll have to pay for carry on luggage; if they don't I can see a lot of grief for the check in staff at the airport.

Dallas
reviews: 17
5. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Well, now they are going to charge you for soft drinks as well.

Next will probably be to use the head !!

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
6. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Airlines want you to book through them. I had to pay for water and soft drinks on Air Brussels for Vienna-Brussels flight. Even on Southwest, you get a small plastic cup of soft drink, not a whole can. Paying for carry-on bags has started with some other airlines and may be inevitable, as people bring more and more (and bigger and bigger) carry-on bags to avoid checked bag fees or even just for the convenience (overhead bins weren't designed for what people bring on board now). In the 2004 comedy film "Soul Plane," overhead bins were coin-operated lockers.

Edited: 10:17 am, May 02, 2013
Northridge, CA
7. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Last week my Frontier flight from MCI was delayed 3 hours while a mechanical problem was being fixed. I and others knew we would miss our connecting flights in Denver, as a result. I have no problem with Frontier fixing mechanical problems, but we were expected to pay for coffee and soft drinks, which I assumed might be given as a courtesy for the inconvenience. Worse - I was not charged a carry on bag fee on the first leg of my trip, and was shocked when I was told I had to pay $50. from Denver to Los Angeles for my carry on because I had booked it via a package on Orbitz. The attendant told me if I didn't pay the $50. across the concourse at a machine within 10 minutes, I would have to pay her $100. for my carry on. By the way, none of the machines worked, and an attendant there took my $50. Way to lose customers, Frontier.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 200
8. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Frontier is probably a step up from Spirit, but both in the same boat.

planet earth
9. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Spot on #6 on people way too big carry on suitcases, it was only a matter of time!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage

Jan27464,

See post #3 and the link. Yes, Frontier's cabin bag charge is waived if you book direct with Frontier, which alas you didn't.

Reply to: Frontier Airlines to charge for carry on baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted