We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

Hi,

I need to carry a lot of stuff home for a college-age relative, and I'm flying Southwest.

I know that in practice airlines will let you fly with a bag that weighs a smidge over 50 lbs.

The mass-produced trunks this student has measure 62.5 inches according to online specifications (that I could print out and carry with me). The maximum size SWA allows is 62", with a $75 oversize charge above that.

Of course, we'll be sure to keep the weight a couple of pounds under 50 lbs.

Should I take one up to the airport to check it out? What do you think?

Liverpool, UK
1. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

"The mass-produced trunks this student has measure 62.5 inches according to online specifications " - In my experience the measurements quoted by manufacturers/retailers are frequently internal dimensions and exclude handles/wheels which have to be taken into account in the airlines size limits.

As long as the 62.5 inches includes any wheels/handles you'll probably be ok as long as you don't get an over zealous check in agent.

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
2. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

I was thinking it might come down to the agent. They don't seem an overzealous group as a whole,but you never know.

I will do some measuring of my own to make sure.

3. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:20 pm, May 01, 2013
Liverpool, UK
4. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

mickt

Whilst I generally have little sympathy for those who exceed baggage limits I don't think an extra 0.5 inch makes a great deal of difference although I do accept that it's over limit and technically it doesn't matter whether it's 0.5 inch or 5 inches.

South Pole
reviews: 39
5. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

probably your on the limit legal bag exceeds that limit due to thermal expansion at some time or other, mickt

the oversize carryon arguments/discussions need to be kept rational.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
6. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

This bag size is NOT a carryon size!

This is the size for checked luggage.

I have never checked a bag/trunk larger than the allowed limit so I don't know how they decide.

I have seen them weigh bags for checking but I haven't seen them measure them.

7. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:20 pm, May 01, 2013
Liverpool, UK
8. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

mickt

This is about checked bags, not carry on.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

There has to be a limit somewhere. Wherever they put it, someone will try to bring a bag 1/2" too big. If it is too big, you run the risk of being charged the over-size fee. Most US airlines seem pretty lenient, but I guess it is up to you. Worst case is you pay the over-size fee.

Just as a note, European airlines are a lot stricter about bag size and weight. When traveling in Europe, they regularly weigh my bag and check the size to make sure it is OK.

UK
reviews: 13
10. Re: Ever-so-slightly oversize baggage on SWA?

I read it wrong and apologise, messages removed.