We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

Chihuahua, Mexico
First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

Hi, in May 20 my fiancee and me will travel to Jamaica for our Honeymoon. Our first flight will be from ELP to DFW with 1 hour layover there to continue to MBJ (Montego Bay, Jamaica). Since it's our first international travel I have some questions:

- Do we need to pick up our checked bags in DFW and re-check them for the connecting flight to MBJ? Both our flights are trough AA.

- For those experienced in DFW, will it be faster to take the Skylink or something else for moving between terminals? (Probably arriving in terminal A and going to terminal D)

- Is the 1 hour layover enough for us?

- Do we have to go trough customs in DFW? How much time do it usually takes to pass Immigration?

- In case we miss our connecting flight will the airline put us in another flight free of charge?

Thanks for answering I am kind of nervous and trying to avoid missing our flight, specially in our honeymoon :)

-

1. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:09 pm, May 01, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

-If you are on one ticket then your bags will checked through to your final destination at ELP. You won't need to collect them.

-Skylink is fastest. There are bridges that connect the terminals on opposite sides of the approach road that runs through the airport but I never use them. Skylink is fast and convenient.

-If flights are on time then 1hr should be plenty

-You don't need to go through immigration, customs or security when flying ELP-DFW-MBJ but when you return you will clear all three at DFW since this is your first point of entry into the US. Immigration times are variable, don't dilly dally from the plane to the immigration point.

-If you are on one ticket and miss your flight you will be placed on the next flight with available seats free of charge.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
3. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

I was partially responding to post #1, when it was deleted. Anyway, to confirm #2: if your departure point is El Paso (ELP), connecting at DFW should mean just going from one gate to another, possibly using the Skytrain, but that depends on the gates used. Gate assignments can change at any time, but if it's Terminals A and D I'd probably take the inter-terminal train. Lots of signs to direct you. No Immigration or Customs. You will be asked to show your passports upon checking in at ELP and probably again at DFW (at the departure gate). One hour should suffice. Besides, it looks like you've booked your flights, so you make do with what you have. Or pay a big change fee.

On your return, you will go through Immigration, get your bags, then go through Customs (usually just a matter of handing over a form you filled out on board the flight and had initialed at Immigration), then drop off your checked bags at a transit desk, then go through security to get to the gate for your domestic flight back to ELP. I'd want at least 2 hours, and preferably more, for that. How much time do you have?

Edited: 2:13 pm, May 01, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
4. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

By the way, the airline will put you on the next flight with available seats if you miss your connection, but that may not, of course, be the very next flight and if an overnight is required and you missed the connection due to a delay in Immigration, etc.,, and not because the first flight arrives late, they MAY not pay for the hotel (happened to friends with another airline, at ATL).

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
5. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

All the flights to the caribbean have very short transit times we were worried as we only had 50 minutes and had to collect our bags put them through security and clear immigration but we made it, the important thing is to book on a through ticket as if you do miss the flight it's the airlines responsibility to get you on the next available flight so you're not really risking much.

6. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:19 pm, May 01, 2013
Chihuahua, Mexico
7. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

Hi thank you both, in the returning flight from MBJ to DFW we have a 1 hour 40 min layover so I hope we have more time to go trough customs, etc.

Thanks again, I am more relaxed now :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
8. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

Just make sure your ticket is booked in the name on your passport. So if your name is being changed when you get married--STILL book the ticket so the name on the ticket matches your ID.

Dallas
reviews: 6
9. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

Skylink makes it a breeze traveling quickly from Terminal A to Terminal D at DFW. It's also easy to find.

10. Re: First international flight for our honeymoon, some questions

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 04, 2014