We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double charge through Air Canada website

Brisbane
reviews: 28
Double charge through Air Canada website

Just booked 4 domestic flights with Air Canada on their website (total cost approx $1300) for which they've charged my credit card $2600. They are claiming ignorance of the overcharge, and doing nothing about it.

Well done, Air Canada. Where's my money?

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

Dispute the charge with you bank/card issuer.

London, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

Raise a dispute with your credit card company.

How are they claiming ignorance? Obviously you have an electronic receipt with the charge on it ie 1300 and proof from your credit card company it was 2600?

I think you are missing some detail in your post...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

If you are relying on online information about your account, some Australian banks have an online system that shows card payment authorisations as an actual charge. After a day or so, the apparent charge goes away if the authorisation did not lead to an actual charge. NAB certainly has this problem, and it may apply with other banks.

Therefore Air Canada may be correct in saying that only one charge went through.

Edited: 5:59 am, May 01, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 335
4. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

Perhaps you accidentally double booked? Should have appeared right away, in which case with most airlines you could cancel within 24 hours. You don't give many details. "They are claiming ignorance of the overcharge" sounds strange. They say you weren't charged for extra tickets (that shows up pretty clearly) or that you were charged what you ordered, and didn't notice until you were actually charged? If you got a receipt for four tickets, and then a credit card charge for more, that seems pretty clear, so you should state in your post more info than simply they claim ignorance and won't help you now.

As noted above, the automatic response should be to dispute the charge with your credit card company. You knew this, I assume.

London, United...
reviews: 22
5. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

Yes, something is wrong with this post, if an erroneous double charge happened it would be very easy to prove and resolve, the airline could not just feign ignorance or I doubt with to, as it would be tantamount to theft.

Either the op made a mistake and got the pricing wrong, booked it twice by mistake, or the charge is a hold and a charge and one will disappear.

If for some reason the systems have screwed up, then I am sure both the bank and ac would resolve it quickly. The " feigning ignorance" makes no sense.

Brisbane
reviews: 28
6. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

Thanks for your responses. I didn't double book, Sutter, this is not my first rodeo. Luckily for me, the money was reversed out this morning, and is back in my account. Lost a whole day of booking hotels and excursions thanks to incompetence, but all's well that ends well.

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
7. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

Sounds like they made a quick fix.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
8. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

So I'm guessing it wasn't Air Canada. Nice thread title though...

UK
reviews: 81
9. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

Sounds like it was just a hold. Is there an actual reversal on your credit card account, or has one set of charges disappeared ?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
10. Re: Double charge through Air Canada website

I'm guessing it was a release Joe, otherwise it's very unlikely Air Canada couldn't have seen the duplicate charge.