We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malasian airlines

Cork, Ireland
malasian airlines

Hi im traveling to australia in july with malasian airlines with a valid australian passport which expires in july also.I also have a new irish passport but after my divorce my surname has changed. on my irish passport .Can i enter australia on my australian passport and have my name changed while im there which will be on a permenant basis as im travelling one way.My problum is id like to renew my australian passport here but its the inconvience of traveling to dublin.Apparantly i was told i can travel but its up to the airline?can anyone help me on this thanks kay

16 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: malasian airlines

For this type of question you're better contacting the relevant passport authorities/airline rather than relying on potentially incorrect answers on this or any other peer to peer forum.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
2. Re: malasian airlines

I agree with Tom, it's too complicated for us to answer but I personally would renew the australian passport with the name you will be using in the future, you could send it registered post without actually going to dublin as long as you leave yourself plenty of time.

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
3. Re: malasian airlines

I agree with Tom too. Just contact the relevant passport authority irrespective of what anyone else says they would do if they did not actaully know that what they were advising was correct.

London
4. Re: malasian airlines

The fact that you have an Irish passport is irrelevant. Presumably you know that, as an Australian passport holder, you can only enter Australia on an Australian passport.

Chrella, your suggestion won't work as you need to apply in person if your passport renewal involves a name change.

I think the inconvenience of travelling to Dublin to apply for a new passport is nothing compared to turning up at the airport and finding you're not allowed to board the plane (especially as it sounds as if you're emigrating). Whatever you may be told by Malaysia staff now, it could ultimately depend on who you deal with on the day of your flight and that's a big risk.

I'd make that trip to Dublin.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
5. Re: malasian airlines

I'm with the Adelaidian,

I'd be making a trip to see the authorities locally to sort this out, rather than chance it on the travel date. The so called inconvenience could save you a lot of grief and money later.

Edited: 6:51 pm, April 30, 2013
Perth, Australia
reviews: 43
6. Re: malasian airlines

Me too # 4 & 5

Take the day off work and go and get your Aussie passport updated.

Start getting back in to the Aus mentality of a 3 hour drive being nothing :-)

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
7. Re: malasian airlines

And don't forget to take the documentation to prove that you have legally changed your name with you.

I'd agree with suggestions that you get it sorted by the Australian Embassy in Dublin, however, on the surface, I don't see the problem.

You are an Australian citizen traveling to Australia on a valid an current Australian Passport that was legally issued to you.

Since then you have changed your name, however, the same situation applies to every bride who travels overseas on her honeymoon if she chooses to take her husband's name on her marriage. Most don't change their passports before they go.

8. Re: malasian airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:44 am, May 01, 2013

South Pole
reviews: 39
9. Re: malasian airlines

"It is the airline who will look at your passport and see less than 6 months validitiy - then cancel your flight"

for a citizen returning to their own country?

I doubt that.

10. Re: malasian airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, May 01, 2013

Reply to: malasian airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted