We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turkish air or egypt air?

Aldershot
turkish air or egypt air?

Hi all.

My wife, 2 young kids and I will be going to south africa for christmas and are looking to book soon.

We have managed to hold flights to johannesburg for £2700, and will have to buy tickets to durban which will cost an extra £400 -£500, so around £3200 in total.

I also found flights with turkish air which are about £200 more, question is which should I go with.

I'm a bit unsure of flying with egypt air given the ongoing troubles so am leaning more towards paying the bit extra and going with turkish.

Unfortunately emirates are around £4300 and saa, ba, virgin are even more, so not really an option.

Any suggestions out there on which of the 2, airline quality, in flight entertainment, etc?

Any help and Info would be greatly appreciated.

Aldershot
1. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

Sorry, no idea why there is a double post.

Could a mod delete one please.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
2. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

Click on Report inappropriate content, and select Remove my post from the drop down menu

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 344
3. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

Where are you flying from? How long of a flight? How many connections? 13 years ago we were deciding between these same tow airlines to fly from Johannesburg to Cairo and back, and settled on Egyptair due to no connections (just a brief stop in Harare on the way up). It was a basic airline, and dry (no booze), but was fine. Have you looked at reviews at www.airlinequality.com? I assume with either choice you'd have to change to SAA or other local carrier to get to Durban.

Aldershot
4. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

Sorry, I should have put that info in.

Flying from london.

Both have stopover. Cairo for egypt air and istanbul for turkish.

Both have a total flying time of around 15-16 hours including stopovers, so not much in it.

No problems regarding internal flight as we've done it all before.

Just need advice on turkish and egypt.

Thanks.

Aldershot
5. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

Have to make a decision tonight, any more info would be great.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
6. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

Having flown both and had good experiences with both I would choose Turkish just because of the small things like the food which I really enjoyed on Turkish and it's pretty hard to enjoy airline food!

There is the option to have a few wines with your meals and I've always been able to upgrade for a good price at check in on Turkish to their comfort product with a different menu to economy and served in real bowls and on real plates etc and the seats in comfort are well comfortable!

There isnt anything wrong with Egypt product, just given a choice I would go with Turkish.

:-)

Aldershot
7. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

Anyone have experiance with ethiopian airlines?

I also have an option of flying out with them, returning with emirates.

Aldershot
8. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

No, scrap that. Hacker fare that doesn't work.

Mumbai...
9. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

Have flown Turkish on a 23.5 hours sector...They are pretty decent as far as food and drinks go....Cabin crew is helpful but frawned & language barrier seems to be evident....Only one observation - Despite of heavy showers at Istanbul airport there wasn't a direct entry to the airport and stairs without roof were arranged for de-boarding the aircraft...

Exeter, United...
reviews: 22
10. Re: turkish air or egypt air?

Look at air inequality website. You will see the reviews for Turkish airlines are much more impressive