We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Int'l flight after domestic connection

Springfield...
reviews: 6
Int'l flight after domestic connection

1st Leg- St. Louis to Chicago (ORD), arriving at Terminal 3 via American

2nd Leg- ORD to London, departing Terminal 5 via Virgin Atlantic

As I am changing both terminals and airlines, will I have to collect my bags at ORD and re-check with Virgin? Or can American check them through to London from STL even though I'm switching airlines?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

It could depend on whether this is a single or seperate tickets - I'm assuming it's seperate tickets as AA and VA are not in any alliance and if this is correct it's more than likely that you'll need to collect bags and check in with VA.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

Here's a link to AA's interline partners, but I think separate tickets will negate this.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/partnerbag.jsp

Here's a more thorough FT post, focusing on a single ticket.

flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1447…

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
3. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

Pretty sure that AA and VS have interline baggage agreement so you should be fine. But you should contact American to check this. If you haven't already purchased this ticket, I would think twice about it. There are plenty of ways to get from STL to LHR that don't involve you having to change terminals or fly multiple airlines that don't code share. Definitely increases the potential for problems and forces you to do TSA twice.

Good luck.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
4. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

The majority of legacy carrier airlines do have interline agreements for bags (even if they're not in the same alliance) if you are on one ticket.

Springfield...
reviews: 6
5. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

Thanks for you help.

My AA reservation info shows the Virgin flight info, and vice versa...is this an indication that the flights are on one ticket?

Sorry for the maybe silly questions...I don't fly too often and don't like holding things up by not having as much info as I can at the airport.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
6. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

Yes, sounds like one ticket. Otherwise AA wouldn't know about the Virgin flights and vice versa.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
7. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

Yes, if that's the case it's all on the one ticket so the bags will be checked through.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
8. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

It does sound like a single ticket, but unless you booked it yourself and are sure, you really should call American and ask them.

Chiang Khong...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

Hi

Your bags should be checked all the way thru but you might not get a boarding pass when you first check in for your virgin flight if not you will get it at the gate from virgin in ORD. you should not have to go to main ticket counter.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Int'l flight after domestic connection

You should be able to do OLCI and get your Virgin boarding pass well before your departure from STL. When you check your bags with American, show them your VS boarding pass and they'll make sure the bags are checked through to the VS flight. At least that's how it worked for my mother (with the first flight on Alaska rather than AA).

Assuming of course these flights are on one ticket.