We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Hawaii from Chicago

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 2
To Hawaii from Chicago

Thinking of planning a trip to Hawaii in mid September and am just curious if that is considered high or low season? Wondering if that will be busy season or not. Also, what is considered a reasonable amount to pay in airfare and what would be cheap? Any info on cost from Chicago would be appreciated.

UK
reviews: 84
1. Re: To Hawaii from Chicago

Well you can look up the cost of airfare yourself right now. Have a look on Kayak at the fares that the airlines (NOT agencies,just the airlines) charge and see if you consider them reasonable.

As for Hawaii you should ask on the Hawaii forum. But low season tends to start in October, sometimes mid October, sometimes the start, you'll need to look on each individual condo or hotel website and see when their cheaper rates start.

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 36
2. Re: To Hawaii from Chicago

In addition to Kayak, check out itasoftware-from ORD, fares below $1000 would be a decent price.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
3. Re: To Hawaii from Chicago

Certain days in Sept the price dips to $761., and drops a little in Oct to $720.

(best of the lot is a Virgin America/Hawaiian connection @ $860.)

http://matrix.itasoftware.com (use the calendar option)

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: To Hawaii from Chicago

Thanks so much for the feedback on this. $760 is reasonable. Would you know if its is better to purchase airfare alone or go the route of a package. When I've booked to South America I've always done everything separate and gotten great prices that way. But nit sure what is advisable with Hawaii. Thanks again!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: To Hawaii from Chicago

I've gone three times from Chicago to Hawaii, sometimes HNL and others LIH. Each time the cost was around $800. Most recent was about 2 years ago. At least that will give you a reference point. Last time I went, a direct flight ORD-HNL was significantly more than a one stop through either LAX or SFO.

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: To Hawaii from Chicago

Thank you, this definitely gives me a reference point. I just wasn't even sure what is considered cheap or expensive for Hawaii.

UK
reviews: 84
7. Re: To Hawaii from Chicago

For accommodation you should ask on the Hawaii forum, I've always found it cheapest booking separately and booking a condo, where is save money twice.

First you save because condos are usually cheaper than hotels, second you save because you can cater your own breakfasts and lunches at least, to put it crudely a box of cereal which will cost less than on breakfast in a hotel, will last a week. Not saying you need to economise like that, but you can.

unict
8. Re: To Hawaii from Chicago

That would be low season.

As to packages, the only way to know if a package will save you money is to price the components separately and compare to the package total. Be sure to check all the flight details so that you know you are comparing the same flights.

Fares do seem higher than in the past couple of years. Nonstops are usually higher than flights with connections.

9. Re: To Hawaii from Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 01, 2014