We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

Perth, Australia
Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

just wondering about safety and service standard for these airlines as their tickets seem much cheaper

Perth, Australia
reviews: 130
1. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

I haven't flown with Cathay Pacific for a long time so can't comment but Singapore Airlibes is a great airline. Safety record is good and service is streets ahead of Qantas and Virgin Australia.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
2. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

They're both top airlines so if the prices are similar I would book based on the best schedule but you might want to do a few days stopover either in Singapore or Hong Kong that could also be a deciding factor.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
3. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

Also you might want to check out the latest passenger reviews on the airlinequality website.

www.airlinequality.com

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
4. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

Much cheaper than what? To where?

Many of the Asian destinations will be very competitively priced as you fly through their hub city on to your desination.

They both constantly rank in the world's top airlines, so you shouldn't have a problem booking with either one.

South Pole
reviews: 39
5. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

i think that is first time ever i have seen singapore airline flights described as "much cheaper".

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
6. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

Same lien, I thought I misread it.

Much cheaper than....Virgin Galactic?

Both very reputable in service delivery and product, so end destination and schedule would be a consideration.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
reviews: 55
7. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

Hi

It's a long time since I have flown with Cathay Pacific but quite often use Singapore Airlines, who are excellent. A very high quality of service and standards even in "cattle class".

Lesley

Melbourne
reviews: 1
8. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

re: Lien, I had the same thought, I don't normally associated SQ and "cheap". I wonder if it's because the OP is looking at flights from Perth? I haven't investigated but could SQ or CX be cheaper from Perth than, say, EK or EH (assuming that the OP is going on to another destination like London rather than having Singapore or Hong Kong as final destination)?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
9. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

It could be that OP is heading for Tokyo or Beijing or Shanghai or destinations in that general directrion whereby EK and EY does not apply.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
10. Re: Comments on flying Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines

CX prices (don't know much about SQ) are dependent on your point-of-origin. I don't know about it being much cheaper but depending on your starting point and where your ticket is issued, the fare might indeed be very competitive.

For example, a TPE-HKG onto USA business class is much cheaper than a straight HKG to USA flight.