We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

Ramsgate, United...
reviews: 56
Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

Just got the latest info on them Thomson Dreamliners.

Thomson so far have 13 on order.

They will be supplied to Thomson in order of when built.

The first one, at the moment waiting for 'Pre Flight Testing', is the 92nd 787-8 to be built - Flight Registration number - G-TUIA is expected in UK June

2nd, 3rd and 4th have been built, Nos., 94, 96, 106 and are awaiting 'Pre Flight Testing' Flight Reg; G-G-TUIB, G-TUIC, and G-TUID, expected June/July

The 5th 787-8 is to be assembled at their Washington Base @ Everett.

That Everett Base is the largest building in the World! -- 13,385,378 cu.m/472,000,000 cu.ft!

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

Yep, the first 4 are sat in pre flight prep, (where they've been since the aircraft were grounded) waiting for their 'fixes' and other mods, before pre delivery flight tests.

The latest I heard from a guy that works in aviation is that Thomsons have a June delivery date for at least two of their aircraft (they only need two for their longhaul programme this summer) but the specific date isn't known (apart from presumably to Thomsons who are still saying they haven't got one lol).

Ramsgate, United...
2. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

Thanks for that confirmation.

Over on this side of the pond I cannot pick up much interest in the aircraft.

So maybe those two in June might be enough and I'll have the front end to myself!!!!

Hugo D

Leeds, UK
reviews: 52
3. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

The other comment ive read on other forums is that Thomson will be flying these planes short haul only for crew familiarisation for 2 months before they go onto long haul.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
4. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

Yes, two months for crew familiarisation and training, unless they manage to speed the process up a bit.

Ramsgate, United...
5. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

"Crew familiarisation and training"?

Isn't it nice when the training is done so that some other poor punter has to get the poor service whilst us 'up front' will have to wait until the staff have been trained properly.

Thus must be badly trained beforehand surely if they need to do 2 months training to do what I thought they were 'sposed to do anyway!

Hugo

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
6. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

It's a completely new aircraft so the crews are unfamiliar with any of it. Would you rather they just got on and were clueless as to how to use everything or even where anything was? Too hot? No problem I'll just fiddle with a few knobs until I find the right one to adjust the temperature!! The same goes for everything that they magic up from a small galley. There are different emergency procedures Do you fancy flying longhaul on an aircraft with a pilot that has never flown that aircraft before?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
7. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

"Crew familiarisation and training"? - This is essential for flight safety, you might recall several years ago when a BMI flight suffered engine problems and crashed on the M1, one of the contributory factors was that the pilots were not familar with the specific variant of the aircraft although they were familar with earlier variants of the same aircraft .

It had been assumed they would not need familiarisation or training and could simply move from one variant to another of the same type but this led to the crew shutting down the wrong engine with fatal results.

Ramsgate, United...
8. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

I wouldn't like flying with any pilot not familiar with the aircraft!

Are they flying the 'shorthaul' trips passengerless?

Ramsgate, United...
9. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

I see!

It's ok for the pilots to crash them 'shorthaul' but not 'longhaul'!

Ramsgate, United...
10. Re: Thomspon Airways 787-8 Dreamliners - info

I've just been reading an article about the Ethiopian flight of the "groundbreaking" Boeing 787.

I'm not entirely sure I like the idea of an aeroplane being described as groundbreaking.