We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear on long flights

Newcastle, Australia
Footwear on long flights

Hi,

Im travelling for about 12 hours on a flight from Australia to Canada. Whats the best footwear to wear? Any suggestions?

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Footwear on long flights

short uggs

Melbourne
reviews: 7
2. Re: Footwear on long flights

I wear regular flats to the airport / at the airport / at my destination. I take a pair of Grosby 'hoodies for your feet' slipper-socks which I wear on the plane.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 23
3. Re: Footwear on long flights

Flats with a bit of extra room to take into account swelling after the flight.

I take my shoes off as I settle into my seat and put on fluffy bed socks. Avoid socks with elastic tops which cling to the leg as this blocks the lymphatic system.

Just make sure you don't have smelly feet or shoes when you take the shoes off!

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
4. Re: Footwear on long flights

Ditto for the smelly feet!

I love how many airlines, on flights to & from Japan, provide pax with slippers. Don't think any other routes have this?

If I'm wearing heels before the flight I often pack some flats or sandals (though avoid sandals with straps that may dig into swollen feet) to change into onboard.

I will never forget learning the hard way when I was about 18 how feet swell in flight & scouring SIN after landing for some comfortable shoes to accommodate my poor, sore feet!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 29
5. Re: Footwear on long flights

Hi

I wear flight socks they reduce the risk of DVT and I also found that my feet don't swell when I have them on , also wear the comfy flats of course .

Have a great flight :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
6. Re: Footwear on long flights

I fly back and forth to Israel--long trip and it is done in comfy socks or slipper socks. I could never imagine sitting in UGGS for that length of time.

AND, I agree--make sure your feet don't smell. I was subjected to that torture on one flight. AND believe me, it was torture!

London, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Footwear on long flights

Depends on why I am travelling. For vacation, I tend to wear flip flops/ sandals. If travelling for work, it tends to be comfy heels, but I remove when on the plane.

I find the question of footwear not so relevant on long haul, as i always take my shoes off, it's about just getting through the airport, where as short haul, they tend to stay on.

South Pole
8. Re: Footwear on long flights

wouldn't fly in anything else but my ankle length uggs.

soft, flexible, warm, comfortable. squish up easily into my carryon at the end of the flight.

of course these are genuine australian uggs, not the american knockoffs made in china. quality counts.

Edited: 1:34 am, April 28, 2013
Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
9. Re: Footwear on long flights

Aren't genuine Uggs (deckers) made in China? at least they used to be.

I often wear uggs but take them off on the plane. I think it is an each to their own decision.

South Pole
10. Re: Footwear on long flights

deckers aren't genuine uggs.

genuine uggs are only made in australia.