We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM Carry on rules

BEAVERTON
reviews: 4
KLM Carry on rules

Hello

My daughter is flying home from england with KLM after studying abroad.

She has already paid for an extra piece of luggage and is checking a suitcase and large backpack...however she is also bringing her guitar..in a hard case..as carry on..will that be the only carry on she is allowed or would she be able to take a purse that will hold her (small)laptop..If we have to check the guitar we were told its $200.

Advice or experience anyone

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
1. Re: KLM Carry on rules

Youa re not allowed a guitar as normal carry on

klm.com/travel/…p11

As hand baggage

You may take a musical instrument, such as a violin or smaller instrument, with you as hand luggage, but not in addition to your standard hand baggage allowance. The total dimensions may not exceed 115 cm/45 in (l + w + h).

You will have to check it or ship it frieght

Edited: 4:10 pm, April 27, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
2. Re: KLM Carry on rules

She definitely won't be able to take the guitar on board as hand luggage, where would she put it? i don't think a guitar would fit into the overhead bins.

Malaysia
3. Re: KLM Carry on rules

Early this month at Schipol Airport at the gate waiting to board KLM flght to Kuala Lumpur, I saw a guy with a guitar case with him. Obviously he is bringing onboard as a hand carry but whether he was allowed to, I am not sure as I lost sight of him while boarding.

Edited: 12:22 pm, April 28, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
4. Re: KLM Carry on rules

I have seen guitars on board (not KLM but other airlines) but only where the passenger paid for a seat for the case. Far too long for most overhead spaces.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
5. Re: KLM Carry on rules

" Far too long for most overhead spaces." and therein is the problem. Where do you or your daughter envision this guitar being placed on the plane. BTW do not say coat closet--that is priority business passengers and I have never ever seen extra room in it!

BEAVERTON
6. Re: KLM Carry on rules

Funny thing..just spoke with klm...guitar is allowed ..if it fits the measurement guidelines..as far as where do I "envision" it being placed....probably the same place strollers get placed! I would like to add I come to this forum for advice and experiences that other travellers may have had. I find the responses a little harsh sometimes.

UK
reviews: 13
7. Re: KLM Carry on rules

So it won't fit in then, so she will ave to pay for another seat or check it in.

Haarlem, The...
reviews: 162
8. Re: KLM Carry on rules

I always thought the strollers go in the hold? Last in after boarding and than first out? Not sure though.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
9. Re: KLM Carry on rules

"Funny thing..just spoke with klm...guitar is allowed ..if it fits the measurement guidelines." - Anything will be allowed as cabin baggage as long as it fits the measurement guidelines (and security guidelines) , the cabin baggage limits on KLM are as follows:

"1 bag measuring 55 x 25 x 35 cm (21.5 x 10 x 13.5 inch) (l x w x h)"

I've never seen a guitar that small in or out of a case.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: KLM Carry on rules

".just spoke with klm...guitar is allowed ..if it fits the measurement guidelines."

Of course it's allowed if it fits the requirements. It says that as well in the link Ronaldo posted in the very first reply.

Edited: 5:22 pm, April 28, 2013