We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dilemma Over Booking Flights to Greece

Trumbull...
reviews: 9
Dilemma Over Booking Flights to Greece

I need help figuring out the best way to get to Greece at the end of this June. Wanted a direct from an NYC airport to Athens, but Delta is the only direct and the dates I was looking at are up to almost $2700! That leaves me with connecting flights. Turkish Air has too small of a connection time (about 1 hour). So, that leaves me with the following 2 options:

1. Swiss Air ($1476) , with connection times of about 3 hours, arriving in Athens about 4pm.

2. US Air (1658). It goes direct from Philadelphia to Athens, arriving around 9:30am. HOWEVER, I have to get to Philadelphia, which is a 3 hour drive with no hitches, OR, take a flight from Bradley with the connection in Philadelphia of only 1 hr. 25 minutes outbound, and 2 hrs 9 minutes inbound.

I would prefer to take the US Air flight, but I don't know that I'm comfortable with the 85 minute connection time.

Any thoughts?

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 11
1. Re: Dilemma Over Booking Flights to Greece

zurich airport is quite nice. i'd rather spend 3 hours there than fretting over a connection

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
2. Re: Dilemma Over Booking Flights to Greece

One-way? At least on an arbitrary late June date of the 26th, Expedia shows at least 3 options with Turkish Airlines, with connection times of 1, 2 1/2 or 6 1/2 hours. If you prefer EWR, SAS has a flight for just a tad more, with 1 1/2 hours between planes in Copenhagen. Swissair price and connection do not look bad.

Edited: 1:05 pm, April 27, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
3. Re: Dilemma Over Booking Flights to Greece

Sorry, I see r.t. If you give your projected travel dates, people can better offer suggestions. If you prefer US Airways, and flying out of Hartford vs. JFK, LGA or EWR, go to the US Airways Web site, and you'll see several options with varying mounts of connection time at PHL. The times you cite for US Airways aren't all that bad, IMHO, but if you want more each way, you can get it.

Trumbull...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Dilemma Over Booking Flights to Greece

I am looking to fly out on June 26, and to return on July 8. I used KAYAK and I didn't see any Turkish Air flights that had more than 1 hour-ish connection in one direction, without having around 13-20 hours connection on the return. I am not partial to any airline, just whichever has the best schedule for the best price. I am not comfortable with a connection time of less than 2 1/2 to 3 hours, because I am unwilling to miss the connecting flight and miss out on a day of the trip to Greece, and like-wise, on the return home, DH needs to get back to work.

Perhaps I should look directly at US Air? I always thought KAYAK was the way to go, that they would show the best times/prices. If I could fly on US Air from Bradley to Athens, with a longer connection time in Philadelphia, that would probably be my first choice, as the SWISS flight doesn't arrive until late in the afternoon, and the US Air flight arrives early in the morning.

Edited: 1:30 pm, April 27, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
5. Re: Dilemma Over Booking Flights to Greece

If you can't adjust your dates, how about Lufthansa, with a 2 1/2 hour layover at Munich? About $1575 on Expedia. I suggest you first expand your searching beyond just one third party Web site, including to sites of individual airlines, and see what you find. www.turkishairlines.com shows several options on your dates, with varying connecting times (up to 11 hours if you so choose) in Istanbul. So does www.lufthansa.com (connections in Frankfurt, Munich or Zurich).

Edited: 8:16 am, April 28, 2013
6. Re: Dilemma Over Booking Flights to Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 30, 2014