We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

Edinburgh, United...
Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

Hi i am flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA with United Airlines. I have to change at Newark and have 1.5 hours to catch my connecting flight to Washington. The questions are do I need to clear US Customs in Newark or will this happen in Washington only. Also do I need to reclaim my baggage at Newark or will United put this on the connecting flight. Any help much appreciated!

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
1. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

I gather you've already booked your flights, so not much help anyone can give you but let you know what you're in for. At your first port of entry (EWR for you), you'll go through Immigration, get your bags, go through Customs (usually just need to hand over a form), hand over your bags at a transit desk, then go through TSA security to go to your flight to Washington, which will be a purely domestic flight. 1.5 hours is tight. Possible, but very tight. If you miss the connection, and your flights were purchased together, and your bags are tagged through to Washington (DCA or IAD), UA would put you on the next flight with available seats, but that may not be the very next flight. Haven't flown out of EWR for about 3-4 years, but most commuter flights (including many from there to DCA or IAD), flew out of the commuter terminal, and we had to take a shuttle bus there from the main terminals.

If you haven't booked your flight, I'd shoot for a longer connection. There are lots of flights to Washington.

Edited: 8:19 am, April 27, 2013
Limerick, Ireland
2. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

Youtube " entering the usa " ( Customs & Border Protection )

first port of entry into the u.s. , unless you fly through

Dublin, ireland.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
3. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

And not all Dublin flights pre-clear.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
4. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

I assume you're referring to Washington DC the city and not Washington the state. If the city, then there are numerous connecting flights, so if your connection time is too short, there will be backup options. If it's Washington State (e.g. Seattle) then there are far fewer flights daily, and missing one could be very inconvenient.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
5. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

Reply #1 sets out the process you need to go through - in order to maximise the chances of making the connection try to get seats as near the front as possible on your flight from EDI to EWR and be prepared for a brisk walk to Immigration to get ahead of other passengers.

Make sure your bags are tagged to Washington when you originally check in at EDI - as an aside I assume you have your ESTA for entry to the USA.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
reviews: 12
6. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

Hi, we've flown from Edinburgh to Newark many times in the past - you could easily be waiting in the immigration line at Newark for an hour or more. As the above reply suggests, try to be as close to the front of the plane as possible - but if a couple of flights arrive around the same time then you could still have a long wait.

By the time you get through immigration your bags may already have been removed from the luggage carousel and be stacked to one side, so don't panic if you don't see your bags straight away! Just collect them and continue to customs, hand over your customs form then follow instructions for onward flights to hand your bags over again.

Edited: 2:04 pm, April 27, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
7. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

Thanks for the very detailed response Sutter. Its really helpful. I have flown to Newark before but only direct to NYC which was my final destination. I therefore never had to worry about procedure regarding USA connections etc. I arrive at Terminal B then go to terminal C for my connecting Washington DCA flight. I fly with United all the way and my tickets were purchased together. I thought that if they offer International flights with this type of connecting time scale they are confident we can make the connection easily If i miss it though United should put me on the next plane! I will be ready to move as fast as I can in an airport once I am off that plane.

Edinburgh, United...
8. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

Thanks for the response Ibgardy! Yes its Washington DCa so hopefully I will be ok for another flight should I miss my connection.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
9. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

"If i miss it though United should put me on the next plane!" - You might make the connection but if you miss it then UA will put you on the next flight with available seats, if the next actual flight is full they will not bump passengers to seat others who missed earlier flights.

Edinburgh, United...
10. Re: Flying from Edinburgh Scotland to Washington USA via Newark

Thanks Scozzeze

I have flown to Newark at the same time before. It wasn't too busy so will have to hope its like that this time. Of course last time I was only going to NYC and wasn't in a hurry because I am this time it may be a different story! Thanks for the tips about baggage too.