We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

Bedford, United...
reviews: 5
Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

We have just flown from Heathrow to Dallas/Fort Worth via Toronto. I thought it worthwhile registering with the Aeroplan scheme. Registering was easy but not so claiming those miles. I have registered with other schemes and claiming miles has been easy with only a limited amount of information required - membership number, name and booking reference. With Aeroplan it seems that you have to retain all of your boarding passes so as to enter such things as seats numbers and even stuff that isn't published - boarding card number??? I am surprised that they don't ask whether you had beef or chicken for lunch! It seems to to me that that they don't REALLY want to be bothered with it. Perhaps I am missing a point somewhere - I am prepared to be educated about this for sure.

The flights were fine - travel in empty planes on Tuesdays!

Toronto, Canada
1. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

If you provide your Aeroplan number at booking or check-in time, miles should be credited automatically and there's no need to fill out any paperwork.

SE Ontario
reviews: 9
2. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

Something went awry there ... I've never had any paperwork like that ... I always hold onto my boarding pass to double check later that the miles were credited to the account, but as Matt notes, basically it should just automatically be applied when you provide the number on booking. Mine is coded into my AC account when I book online. I'd give them a call.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 33
3. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

Wait a reasonable time for the flights to be posted to your Aeroplan account. This all assumes you gave them your aeroplan number when you booked the flights or updated your booking to include that number prior to flight.

Once in all the years I was flying did AP not credit my flights properly. There is an online tool you can use and they will research it, and in my case that also failed. Finally I had to mail it all it and it took a disgraceful 6 months plus to get the miles credited, but they eventually did.

As a sidenote, I can see how my problem started...diverted flights, changed flight numbers, change in airports...every problem that could occur on a flight sequence happend to me on that one.

Bedford, United...
4. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

That's really useful advice. Thank you. I guess that the problem is that I am trying to claim AFTER the first flight. I think I will just ask at the desk when we do the return flight. The claiming process just seems to be so complex when it doesn't need to be.

We do lots of air travel especially UK to US and we usually go with the cheapest flights on offer and that means that we are claiming from several different carriers. I really DO need to do more research so that we can get some benefits from all of the trips!

I am quite inexp-erienced at using Tripadvisor too - that's why my initial post was probably in the wrong place.

Thanks again

Bob

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
5. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

Are you sure that Aeroplan is the best place to be accumulating miles from these flights? Do you plan to fly Air Canada a lot? Since you're already a member of several other frequent flier programs, and if another of those is with the Star Alliance (ie. United, Swiss, Lufthansa, etc), you might be better off directing the miles to that program instead of Aeroplan, combining them with the miles you already have.

Bedford, United...
6. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure at all that I really understand the whole "miles thing"! Can you claim miles traveled on say Air Canada on say Airmiles or any other programme? If any one knows of a good link where I can read up on this then I'd be grateful to know it. There seem to be so many different alliances too. Up until now I was working and this sort of thing was too much to worry about. I need to get in some hard research if I am to gain any benefit at all ... obviously!

Kindest regards to all those who have offered advice..

Bob F

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
7. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

No, you can't just credit miles earned to ANY program, but you are not limited to just the program offered by the airline operating your flight.

When you collect miles with a particular airline, you can generally redeem them for travel not only with that airline, but also their partner airlines. So, in keeping with your example with Aeroplan, I can redeem Aeroplan miles for flights on AC, as well as flights on other airlines in the Star Alliance, as well as other airlines that may not be part of the Star Alliance but have another partnership arrangement with AC.

As for collecting miles, I can earn Aeroplan miles when flying Air Canada, but I can also book a flight with a different partner airline and have the miles credited to my account with Aeroplan. Miles are more useful when they're not scattered around too many different programs.

That was why I asked my question in #5. If, for example, you happen to fly a lot with Lufthansa, you can credit the miles earned on your Air Canada flights to your Miles & More account with Lufthansa instead of crediting to Aeroplan. Just because you flew on Air Canada doesn't mean you have to credit the miles you earned to their frequent flier program.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
8. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

Normally you can accumulate miles on all airlines that are part of an alliance. For example, you can accumulate United (Star Alliance) miles on any Star Alliance carrier. However, be aware of what class of service you book when flying with a partner airline. Each partner airline sets their own FF policy and not all classes of service are eligible for FF miles on some partner airlines..

Bedford, United...
9. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

It all sounds like a bit of a mine-field but I will persevere! All of the advice is most gratefully received. Things are quite a lot clearer now. The research will have to continue for sure.

Kindest regards

Bob F

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 33
10. Re: Air Canada Aeroplan Claiming Miles

Typically you don't need to do anything to "claim your miles". They show up automatically in your Aeroplan account, typically in 1 week or less after your flight

Edited: 9:50 pm, April 26, 2013