We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing rod's in overhead bin?

Pickerington, Ohio
1 post
fishing rod's in overhead bin?

How do I find out the dimensions of the overhead bin? Says can carry on a fishing pole as long as it breaks down to fit in overhead bin...

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
667 posts
1. Re: fishing rod's in overhead bin?

Just be sure to put it in a rod carrier or cardboard tube as someone smashing a small suitcase inside the overhead...could make a rod go,,,,snap....just saying,,,,find the plane you are going on such as a 737-800 and then google it ...it should show up somewhere on the net.

Edited: 7:49 pm, April 25, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,332 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: fishing rod's in overhead bin?

Hi,

That's a bit tricky as not all aircraft - even if the same "model" (ie 737-300, etc) will have the same size bins because the aircraft manufacturer offers buyers the option to install several different cabins and each one can vary slightly in size.

Travel Safe,

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
92 reviews
3. Re: fishing rod's in overhead bin?

I would have thought that it must fit carry-on size restrictions put out by the airline, no?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,332 posts
74 reviews
4. Re: fishing rod's in overhead bin?

Hi,

Yes, I'd run with those sizes - notably the length.. But... As a proactive preventative measure I'd be sure i had it packed in such a manner that's acceptable for baggae transport as there is always some amount of risk it won't fit or by the time you board there is insufficient room - thus requiring it to be moved to baggage.

Travel Safe,

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
378 reviews
5. Re: fishing rod's in overhead bin?

Note that casting is strictly prohibited during takeoff and landing. I'd call the airline. They apparently have special guidelines for fishing poles, but I'd still confirm dimensions, or, if it fits, pack it in checked luggage.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
19,507 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: fishing rod's in overhead bin?

This may sound like an odd suggestion, but a friend of mine used to be an avid angler, and flew around the world with his gear. He used to take it apart and carry them in a two part snooker cue case. Apparently he had no issues taking it as hand luggage.

For whatever it's worth...

7. Re: fishing rod's in overhead bin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 28, 2014