We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel: Sacramento/San Francisco to Cancun - question?

Northern California
reviews: 3
Air travel: Sacramento/San Francisco to Cancun - question?

I'm planning to fly from Sacramento (or SFO, if necessary) to Cancun (ultimately Playa Del Carmen) in early November. I'd like to keep it as relatively inexpensive and short-in-duration as possible. I have Alaska Air miles/certificate to use, but I'm finding they aren't real useful trying to get to Cancun......PV or Cabo, yes; but not Cancun. I'm thinking I could take Alaska Air to a city where flights to Cancun are less expensive & more frequent (maybe Dallas or Houston? Atlanta?). Need advice on this. Was thinking maybe I get to a good connecting city and then take a different airline to Cancun from there. Any input would help. Thanks!

-Jeff-

Seattle, WA
reviews: 4
1. Re: Air travel: Sacramento/San Francisco to Cancun - question?

Don't forget Phoenix! Just flew from Seattle to Cancun tbrough PHX on US Airways. It's something to consider. Have fun!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
2. Re: Air travel: Sacramento/San Francisco to Cancun - question?

Hi,

Like many MX cities, some CUN service is seasonal, but a fair bit is year-round.

To me, if the primary objective is most time expedient and hassle-free, then a true non-stop from SFO is most likely your best bet.. In that case your only option is a United non-stop.

If you want to get to a city with more non-stop service I suspect that's going to be AA's DFW hub which appears to have at least 3 sectors offered. But I also recognize that by doing this you're going to have a connection and I suspect a 2-ticket booking (AS mileage ticket from SMF/DFW and AA revenue ticket from DFW to CUN) so be sure you understand and can accept the risks of such.

To me, I sounds like you've got to do some priortitzation in terms of travel; be that non-stop, shortest total travel time, etc as this will lead you to what becomes the best solution for you.

Travel Safe,

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
3. Re: Air travel: Sacramento/San Francisco to Cancun - question?

Hi,

Like many MX cities, some CUN service is seasonal, but a fair bit is year-round.

To me, if the primary objective is most time expedient and cost-effective* then a true non-stop from SFO is most likely your best bet.. In that case your only option is a United non-stop.

(Note: I do recognize that the mileage ticket won't have a base fare payable for it, but I do consider what "value" you derive from it. It might be that by using it to fly from SMF to another gateway city you will effectively be redeeming it for a low value ticket, whereas retaining it for later higher value use and buying a full paid ticket from SMF or SFO might be the most cost effective way when all factors are considered)

If you want to get to a city with more non-stop service I suspect that's going to be AA's DFW hub which appears to have at least 3 sectors offered. But I also recognize that by doing this you're going to have a connection and I suspect a 2-ticket booking (AS mileage ticket from SMF/DFW and AA revenue ticket from DFW to CUN) so be sure you understand and can accept the risks of such.

To me, I sounds like you've got to do some priortitzation in terms of travel; be that non-stop, shortest total travel time, etc as this will lead you to what becomes the best solution for you.

Travel Safe,

4. Re: Air travel: Sacramento/San Francisco to Cancun - question?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 27, 2014