We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Airport for Stopovers.

Toronto, Canada
Newark Airport for Stopovers.

In a few weeks I plan to travel to Spain. I leave from Toronto, Canada to Newark,then have just under a 2 hour stopover before flying to Madrid. Is 2 hours enough considering all the delays caused by the US Air Traffic Furroughs, or should I take an earlier flight to Newark that would cost at least 200 more but be more safe as far as time goes.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

Since you will preclear US immigration and customs in Toronto, personally, I'd take the two hour connection. Check and see if you will have to leave the secure area to get to your next flight at EWR. I don't know if you have to or not. Even if you do, two hours should give you enough time.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

I am checking with my travel agent whether I will be leaving the secure area. I know that the flight will be arriving in Terminal A and the flight to Spain will be in terminal c so I am unsure how that works. I am definitely open to advice on this as I have been lookng forward to Spain for some time. NYC is a great place but I have alread visited there many times when I was younger.

Edited: 5:27 pm, April 24, 2013
Seattle, Washington
3. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

Terminal map here if that will help you:

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airport-map.html

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
4. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

IF you change terminals at Newark you take the train in between and I believe that means you are OUT of the secure area and will have to go through security again!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

No, you do nit take the train or exit security. You can take a bus between a and c that allows you to stay inside security.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

The official website for EWR is frankly not very good. But here's an airport map from united.com that shows the air side bus transit from T-A to T-B and onward to T-C.

united.com/web/…ewr.aspx

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

Thank you for these responses. The map is quite helpful as it gives a good heads up on what to expect. However the over 200 hundered dollar question is, with all the added security and the furroughs creating delays is 2 hours too short a time for a stopover or should i grab an earlier flight to Newark?

UK
8. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

If you have the choice, take an earlier flight. Better to have 2 hours to kill in the terminal than miss your flight by 5 minutes.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

I've done 2 hour transfers from a to c in Newark. I would not book an earlier flight. If everything is on time, 2 hours is enough and you will have some extra time. But it's better to have that as contingency in case of delays. Regardless of furloughs, Newark is busy and it's not uncommon to be delayed for any number of reasons.

For what it is worth, C is much nicer than A, so once you get there, transfer right away and spend any extra time you have in C.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 143
10. Re: Newark Airport for Stopovers.

Once when we flew through Newark, I was scared of taking a 2 hour transfer so I booked a longer one. We were sitting in the Newark airport for a long time and it's not the nicest airport (boring). However, I had used Aeroplan for the leg from Toronto to Newark so I was going to be screwed if the flight was delayed. I think you will probably be alright even if the first leg is slightly delayed.