We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines to LAS

Miami, Florida
reviews: 2
Spirit Airlines to LAS

Hello, I'm in the process of booking a flight to Vegas and the best pricing is through spirit airlines. I haven't heard the greatest reviews on them. Any suggestions from recent spirit airline travelers? Such as flight delays, lost luggage etc.?

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
1. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

I suggest you get a drink or two, a comfy chair and then type "Spirit Airlines" into the search box at the top of the Airline Forum page. Be prepared to do a lot of reading.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

The main problem with Spirit is that don't necessarily fly everyday to every destination and dont have any agreeements with any other airline - if there is a problem you're stuck with them and could wait several hours/days to get on another Spirit flight.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 23
3. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

i looked at going the spirit route but the baggage fees kills the fare price , we ended up getting flights through

virgin america at a comparable price . also read a lot of bad reviews too many or my liking . this also sealed the deal with me for virgin

travelandleisure.com/articles/…16

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
4. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

I think this constant criticism of Spirit is uncalled for. They were one of my favorite bands in the late 1960s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDQUg3h63TI

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
5. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

Check out the recent reviews on the airlinequality website.

www.airlinequality.com

6. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

Spirit is a great airline. The flights are mostly on time and the crews are friendly. Most negative reviews come from people who always complain. See for yourself.

7. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, April 25, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

They're an ultra low cost carrier, which means very low base fare but lots of additional fees including charging to use the overhead bin.

http://www.spirit.com/optionalfees.aspx

If you can live with the fees and/or plan precisely they may be for you, maybe not. I personally wouldn't choose them but it's up to you.

The other thing - as noted - is that Spirit has no interline agreement with any other airline. That means that if a flight is canceled they will (can) only rebook you on the next Spirit flight with available seats (they won't/can't transfer you to another airline). That's a big risk, depending on their route coverage from your airport. The worst case I've seen on here for a rebooking is nine days later (though that was from a remote airport in central America). But there have been reports of 3-4 days for Atlanta-Fort Lauderdale - maybe an extreme case but one that actually occurred.

So that's what it is. It's up to you.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
reviews: 79
9. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

Factor in all the extra stuff. Then what is Virgin America's fare?

Problem w/ spirit, read all about it.

Have fun

Minneapolis...
10. Re: Spirit Airlines to LAS

If you fly spirit, it's cheap for a reason.

- Seats do not recline

- Charges for carry on bags are more than checked bags

- Waiting to pay for carry on or checked luggage at airport will cost you two to three times more

- Flights are delayed

- All beverages cost $ even water & soda are $3 each

- If you want to select your seat before you leave, you have to pay to pick a seat (it's free once your seat is assigned at check in, but if you want to change it they will charge you)

- Blankets and pillows on my flight were $6

I flew another airline from MSP to LAS and only had to take a one way flight home on Spirit. My friends all warned me not too but I couldn't pass up the $113 ticket and $20 checked bag fee. For the most part my flight was uneventful. We did wait on the runway for 30 minutes before take off because the plane apparently had a malfuntion (not because there was a waiting line to take off). My only complaint was that the flight attendants were very rude on my red eye flight (suppose to leave LAS at 12:15am). I sat a few rows from the back galley wher the flight attendants had very loud very inappropriate conversations the entire flight home. The entire flight had the lights off and it was clear people were trying to sleep but they continued to chat away about why they hate their jobs, what other jobs they are considering, what plans they have for the week, a story about someone dying too young and other stories including profanity. When I asked them to please be quite they seemed to get louder. All passengers around me agreed they were rude and loud. As I exited the plane I thanked the pilot for an uneventful flight home but turned to the flight attendant and told him how rude and inappropriate his conversation was the entire 3 hour flight. I've sent a complaint to the airline but have yet to receive a response.

If you fly Spirit you will want to make sure to pay for checked luggage at time of ticket purchase online and do not bring a carry on suitcase (a purse or backpack is allowed). Additionally know that odds are your flight will be delayed. I've also heard horror stories about lost luggage and canceled flights.

~JT