We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

Matlock, England...
misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

I recently booked a holiday with the online company "On the Beach" including flights and hotel. When the confirmation email was sent through to me with the relevant paperwork to download, there was no direct mention in the email explaining that we needed to book in with ryanair online prior to departure. Unfortunately I was unaware of this policy and when I arrived at the airport and was told that we would have to pay an additional £70 each (4 of us travelling 1 x OAP 2 kids plus me) totaling £280.00, I was gutted. Tried in vain to protest and produced all the On the Beach paperwork to discover in small print down the right hand side of the paperwork, but very distinctly away from the main criteria listed it stated this fact.

Has anyone else been ripped off and held to ransom for this much previously, as I cannot believe that this is normal practice. Having looked online it appears that Ryanair have been taken to court for charging £40.00 each to English Customers yet only £28.00 to Spanish for this same service and been ruled as unlawful, however they are pending an appeal so charges still apply in the interim.

I strongly feel that On the Beach must have had a hand in this somewhere for the charge to be £70, not £40 and wanted feedback what others thought and recommended as a way to appeal this.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
1. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

Ryanair don't accept third party bookings so it could have been a lot worse. Not a great idea to show them your travel documents for Onthebeach for this reason.

London, United...
reviews: 35
2. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

I assume the £70 would be for check in at the airport, and £40 for online check in?? I could be wrong, but I do know it is much more expensive to check in at the desk.

Madrid
reviews: 7
3. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

On the beach is not permitted to sell Ryanair flights,so you had a lucky escape.Book direct with the airline next time.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
4. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

Ryanair's standard charge for reissuing boarding passes is £70/€70. They don't have airport check in, only online. You've not been ripped off, you've omitted to play by the airline's rules.

Ryanair have instigated court action against On The Beach, because of the amount of complaints they've had because of them.

The lack of information stems from OTB being a third party, and Ryanair forbidding their sales through third parties. Yes, lot's of third parties do book Ryanair flights, but OTB have to be the worse culprits for the way they book.

If you'd have booked direct with Ryanair, you'd have been bombarded with emails from them reminding you of what you have to do. As OTB don't pass on your email address, everything they send goes to OTB, and not to you.

As helshaw said, it could have been worse. They could have cancelled your flights, but really they have a problem with the OTAs booking their flights, not their customers.

Edited: 5:08 pm, April 23, 2013
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
5. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

"I strongly feel that On the Beach must have had a hand in this somewhere for the charge to be £70, not £40 and wanted feedback what others thought and recommended as a way to appeal this."

The charge has nothing to do with On the Beach - it is levied by Ryanair on all passengers who do not check in online and print out their boarding pass - it's on their website and called Airport Boarding Card Re-Issue Fee.

You admit it was listed in your paperwork which you didn't read fully even if it was "in small print down the right hand side of the paperwork, but very distinctly away from the main criteria"

Put it down to an expensive lesson learned.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

Here's the press release from RyanAir announcing their legal proceedings against OTB. It looks like your experience is the same as hundreds of others.

ryanair.com/index.php/en/news/ryanair-advise…

UK
reviews: 84
7. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

to discover in small print down the right hand side of the paperwork, but very distinctly away from the main criteria listed it stated this fact.

-------

So is there a rule that only small print on the left and near the main criteria needs to be read?

Sorry, but you've been tripped up by multiple omissions ;

You didn't do any research on OTB (or you would never have bought through them)

You didn't read the small print (on a computer, it needn't be small)

You booked with a company without even caring who you flew with

You didn't check in before you got to the airport

You've been living in a cave and therefore unaware of Ryanairs punitive boarding pass charges.

Sorry, but at some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions in using such cr*p companies.

Matlock, England...
8. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

Thanks folks you've been amazing!! Will let you know how I get on....

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
9. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

I doubt that you'll get anywhere. The information was on your paperwork from OTB, and Ryanair only applied their charges as per their terms and conditions.

10. Re: misleading & misguided on the beach booking agency

Did the OP and her party actually get onto the flight (she doesn't say)? If so how did they manage this given that Ryanair don't carry out check in at airports? They only provide for re-issue of boarding passes for passengers who have already checked in online, don't they?