We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

Wales
reviews: 2
Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

My current passport is due to expire Nov 13. I plan on going to USA in June & December but dont know how this will work with my passport. I believe I am ok to use my current one for June but will need a new one for December. If I apply for a renewal now im guessing it will invalidate my current passport. Im stuck at what to do?? Don't want to wait 6 weeks to book my flight for December incase the price changes, don't know what to do?!?!

Any advice people?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

You can book your flights now and update the passport number later.

You will need a new ESTA for your new passport.

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

I'm not sure of the issue here? How long are you in the us for in June? If its not more than say a month, just travel on your current passport, and then change it when you get back and in plenty of time for your December trip. It's no big deal, you have plenty of time.

Just book your flights whenever you find a price that suits, flight bookings are not passport number dependant.

Wales
reviews: 2
3. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

Yeah I know about the ESTA but thought I had to put my passport info (number & expiration etc) in when booking flights which I assume will be different on my new passport than to my existing one.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

You can change the number on it.

:-)

London, United...
5. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

You can then update it on line, it's no big deal.

Sorry, I don't want to be grumpy, but two trips to the us, six months apart and renewing a passport in the I between six months, is no biggie.

Try being on a plane at least twice a week, sometimes three or four, a passport due for renewal and not living in the country that issued it.

Just buy your tickets, apply for your esta, it takes a whole.2 minutes, go on the first trip, then apply for new passport on return, and update esta on line.

Honestly, it's fine, it's not a big deal. Two visits to the us six months apart is hardly multiple trips.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
6. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

Think you might need to get a new ESTA when you get a new passport? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you could only update the destination etc. Agree that it is no big deal.

London, United...
7. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

No I think you can change the passport number, however even if not, it's something like 14 usd for a new one and takes a couple of mins.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
8. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

The ESTA website says that you need to get a new one if you change your passport. I agree it can be purchased very quickly though.

Liverpool, UK
9. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

You can apply for a new UK passport when you still have up to 9 months validity on your old passport and it's carried forward to your new passport. Applying now will there maintain the expiry date for Nov 2023 and you'll only need one ESTA.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
10. Re: Passport expiration - Multiple trips...HELP

I think it is too early to buy December tix now so just renew your passport and then buy them!!