We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting in Ottawa/Canada

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
Connecting in Ottawa/Canada

I'm on a United Express flight from the U.S. to Ottawa connecting to an Air Canada flight to Europe.

Is there a transit area at Ottawa airport? Or will I have to clear Canadian immigration and possibly even collect my bags to clear customs?

Edited: 12:32 pm, April 23, 2013
Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
1. Re: Connecting in Ottawa/Canada

At YOW you will have to collect bags to clear customs and immigration and then recheck your bags before going back through security.

Frankfurt, Germany
2. Re: Connecting in Ottawa/Canada

Thanks for the info.

Do I have to expect long immigration lines like in the US? And what do you reckon is the average time to clear immigration and customs? Never been to Canada, so I have no idea.

Will I have to complete a landing card / customs form on the plane as a transfer passenger?

Frankfurt, Germany
3. Re: Connecting in Ottawa/Canada

Push.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
4. Re: Connecting in Ottawa/Canada

This Ottawa airport question could be asked on the Ottawa Forum as well. If you don't get a response here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155004-i181-Ottaw…

Yes, you will have to fill out a declaration card on the plane for entering Canada.

Frankfurt, Germany
5. Re: Connecting in Ottawa/Canada

Thanks for the advise.

I reposted the question on the Ottawa forum.

Ottawa, Canada
6. Re: Connecting in Ottawa/Canada

Normally the immigration lines are quite short and fast, especiallyon a flight arriving from the US, as these planes tend to be smaller planes (e.g. CRJ) . I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes.

More information can also be found on the ottawa airport wesite:

ottawa-airport.ca/flight-information/connect…

7. Re: Connecting in Ottawa/Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 26, 2014