We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E cigarettes in airports

cheshire uk
3 posts
2 reviews
E cigarettes in airports

My daughter has just started training for a british airline as cabin crew and she (along with the other trainees) has been told that e-cigs are no longer allowed through passport control, or on the actual flight.

I gave up smoking real cigarettes almost 2 years ago and have been smoking the e cigs. Now I cant even have a little puff of one on a flight!!!!!! How ridiculous!!

Apparently it has something to do with the e-cigs being battery powered. has anyone else heard this, or has anyone had their e-cigs taken off them at Passport Control?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,294 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: E cigarettes in airports

Yes, most airlines don't allow them. I don't know why Passport control would take your e-cig, or even why Customs would.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
24,939 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: E cigarettes in airports

Most airlines won't let you use them in flight. That is nothing new, and not ridiculous IMO. You can take them in your hand luggage though. Liquids have to go in your liquids bag. You don't go through passport control on the way out of a country so not sure where the information has come from.

romford
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: E cigarettes in airports

While the E Cigs can't be used on the flights, they can be used in airports both before/after security ... well, Gatwick anyway.

4. Re: E cigarettes in airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, July 02, 2013
Madrid
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: E cigarettes in airports

Quite right too.The vapour from E Cigs is unpleasant and I have no wish to sit next to someone puffing on one.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: E cigarettes in airports

You'll be gone in a puff of smoke very soon Shane..... reported for advertising.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
25,981 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: E cigarettes in airports

patti, I stopped smoking cigs last xmas...and since then use ecigs...clearsmoke brand...always take them with me one lot in my handluggage, another lot in my checked in bag.....never had a problem, but again, I don't use them on the plane...I am no longer that addicted:)

and PS - vapour from ecigs is totally smell free....

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: E cigarettes in airports

Just to agree with most of the info you've been given - no issues with you taking them on the plane, but most airlines won't allow them to be used on board.

9. Re: E cigarettes in airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, July 06, 2013
Loughborough...
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: E cigarettes in airports

It's certainly true that most airlines don't allow e-cigarettes to be used on board. The reason I have heard is that the puffs of vapour released can look much the same as someone smoking a real cigarette. Cabin crew are meant to look out for and stop any smoking on board, and if they have to investigate a lot of vapour clouds to see if they are from e-cigarettes or real ones, this stops them doing the rest of their job. It also may confuse passengers who haven't come across e-cigarettes before and think if they are allowed they can light up real ones.

It certainly can't be the case that they aren't allowed to be taken on board an aircraft at all as Ryanair actually sell them in flight.