We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experienced flyers help please:)

Adelaide, Australia
Experienced flyers help please:)

Hi looking at flying from Adelaide Australia to Singapore then 5 days later Singapore to Phuket stay there for 8 nights the fly back to Australia.

We can fly Singapore airlines with connecting flights with silk air, or if we book a return trip with quants to Singapore and then a separate return trip from Singapore to Phuket with jetstar we can save nearly $1000!

My question is having never done this before I assume we will need to collect our baggage after our Phuket to Singapore flight and then re check at quantas for our Singapore to Adelaide flight is this right? How much time between the flights should we allow? Our jetstar flight will arrive at 3:35pm and our quantas flight departs at 9.05pm will this work?

Is this a common thing to do and can anyone foresee any problems in doing this?

Thank you for you help greatly appreciated:)

UK
reviews: 85
1. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

Our jetstar flight will arrive at 3:35pm and our quantas flight departs at 9.05pm will this work?

================

Sure, if the schedules stay as they are.

Should one or both be rescheduled, or even cancelled, then you could have a problem even before you fly, for exampels 2 hours later take off, 2 hours earlier arrival, now you have a problem.. Of course, on the day its also possible there might be a problem with your flight. Your incoming flight might be very late or cancelled, or one or more items of luggage may not turn up on your incoming flight.In which case Jetstar have no obligation to get it to Adelaide.

You will have to balance the extra costs/savings vs the possibility this happens. Or you could take a mid way approach,arrive a day early on the return, spend some of that $1000 savings on a hotel in Singapore.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 32
2. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

Have you asked advice from a travel agent? I'm asking because I can't understand how you could save $1,000 on a return flight that cost generally around that much. In fact next month that fare on Singapore is $995.

Edited: 10:09 am, April 23, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 172
3. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

I agree with Joe, this "should" be plenty of time and you "should' be fine. If you leave one day earlier chances are you will have a much more relaxed trip and not have to worry....that would be my vote!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

Separately ticketed flights are risky. You carry all the risk of failing to make the onward flight (check in, bag drop and/or boarding), and if you miss it, in all likelihood that ticket will be canceled as a no show and you'd have to buy a new ticket at the walk up fare. And, as Joe mentions, if either flight is rescheduled so as to make it impossible to catch the onward flight you're also up a creek without a paddle.

I'd first of all contact a reputable full service travel agent to see what they can do. They may be able to book all four flights on the same ticket using interlining, or get you an interline ticket for much less than you're seeing (not necessarily $1000 cheaper but approaching that).

if you do stay with separate tickets, then think CONTINGENCY, not time. Think "if my inbound flight is badly delayed or canceled, or the airlines change the flight times, how (else) can I get to the stopover airport in time to make the onward flight?" That could mean taking a much earlier flight than "normal" from Phuket (HKT) to SIN, having one or two later ones as backup. Or, as Joe suggests, flying HKT-SIN a day earlier and investing $100-150 of your $1000 saving in a hotel in Singapore. That's what I do the few times I fly on separate tickets (I put a full 24 hours contingency between the separately ticketed flights).

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

I agree with all the above, note, a full service travel agent is not the same as an online agency:))

Adelaide, Australia
6. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

The saving was based on a family of 4 flying. When you say travel agent do you mean like flight centre in Australia or similar?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

>> When you say travel agent do you mean like flight centre in Australia or similar? <<

Flight Centre is a full service travel agent, however their reputation in Australia for good service appears to be questionable. But something like them, or a local high street agent, yes. Just do not use third party online bookers, who can have a terrible reputation for service and upselling.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
8. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

Flight Centre in Aus is not a "full service" anything ! It's a call centre with face to face call centre staff who have minimum call centre soft service skilling but no actual travel experience nor training. They rely solely on what their computer scripting tells them.

There are plenty of genuine travel agencies out there.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
9. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

Firstly, if you want a good reliable online travel agent, we have used www.bestflights.com.au a number of times and have found them approachable, amenable, efficient and helpful. You actually deal with a real person (over the phone) if you like.

Secondly, normally with Changi as a hub I'd say 3 hours is fine, but given Jetstar's penchant for changing and delaying flights, I'd allow for a night in Singapore before the connection. Long delays are not unheard of.

My last flight I booked with them (BKK to SIN) was delayed from 4:30 pm to 2 am the next morning)

South Pole
reviews: 39
10. Re: Experienced flyers help please:)

sometimes paying a bit extra for peace of mind is a good investment.