We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA to Vancouver

reviews: 3
BA to Vancouver

Hi all

I'm booking a very very last minute flight this weekend with BA from LHR to YVR, returning from LAX in business - I've watched the price of the flight go up and up over the last couple of weeks and wondered if I bought a premium econ ticket, what the chances of upgrading it more cheaply than buying a business ticket outright at this late stage would be? Would i even be offered this on the "manage my booking" screen?

Much obliged to anyone who can help.

London, UK
reviews: 112
1. Re: BA to Vancouver

It's impossible to tell. In my experience the MMB upgrade offers usually appear when the fight is at risk of being overbooked and they want to encourage some pax to upgrade themselves, thus freeing up a cheaper seat and saving BA the hassle and expense of bumping people off the flight. The same applies to gate upgrades. And if you don't get offered the chance of an upgrade via MMB or at online check-in, you can always pay to upgrade yourself at the airport, if seats are available. That's more expensive than the MMB offers I've had, but a good deal cheaper than a business class ticket. But if you want to be sure of a business class seat, you'll really have to book one.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
2. Re: BA to Vancouver

Do you have any Avios (BA FF points)? Using Avios to upgrade from WT+ to Club is arguably the best use of the points there is.

3. Re: BA to Vancouver

No, I don't have enough Avios. I'm happy to pay for the upgrade, I just wondered if I might be able to get it a bit cheaper than the current price listed on the ba website for buying a return business class ticket if i bought a premium econ ticket and upgraded that.

thanks for the replies.

UK
reviews: 85
4. Re: BA to Vancouver

I just wondered if I might be able to get it a bit cheaper than the current price listed on the ba website for buying a return business class ticket if i bought a premium econ ticket and upgraded that.

-------

If it was that simple everyone would do it.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, sometimes there is no availability.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
5. Re: BA to Vancouver

BA85 isn't heavily sold in Club World this Friday, Saturday or Sunday, and to that end you may be offered an inexpensive upgrade in Manage My Booking. The upgrade should cost about £420 - 450. If you aren't offered the paid for upgrade at MMB then ask at T5.

6. Re: BA to Vancouver

^^ fantastic. thank you. i shall keep my eyes peeled in mmb.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
7. Re: BA to Vancouver

I know this is quite off topic, but I'll throw it out for future (or who knows, maybe short-term) reference.

In premium classes it's often possible that a round-the-world ticket can be cheaper than the sorts of prices one can encounter in conventional (late) bookings. While I have no idea what prices you're seeing (not knowing your dates) a quick search on ITA returned prices for itineraries such as yours in the £5K+ range in business class.

A three-continent RTW ticket starting and ending in the UK with Oneworld airlines is under £5K (although UK APD and BA fuel surcharges will take it above that) while the same ticket starting and ending in the Euro zone will be around 100 quid less. Starting in Budapest it will be £4350 and in Cairo under £3500. The tickets are priced differently depending on your start/finish point, often with dramatic differentials. Many travelers (yours truly included) find it's often cheaper to fly somewhere else to start RTWs, even with the "positioning costs" added.

For that you'll get 16 flights in business class (or first class on US domestic flights where business isn't sold) BUT you'll have to cross both the Atlantic and Pacific, in the same direction. The tickets are good for a year and can be changed (dates for free, itineraries for US$125 which includes any number of changes) so they're pretty flexible.

So just imagining your case, say you bought a RTW originating in Budapest. (This can be done online and takes around an hour from start to ticketed.) Fly to Helsinki (on Finnair) and connect to Hong Kong on Finnair's nonstop. Spend a night in Hong Kong, then get on Cathay Pacific's (fabulous) flight to Vancouver.

Do your business in Vancouver, then fly to LA (via Dallas - unfortunately Oneworld doesn't have any north-south service on the west coast except SF - LA.) Do your business in LA then fly home to the UK.

But the ticket isn't finished yet, and you're still allowed three flights within Europe (including North Africa and the Middle East) and have up to a year to use them. So are you going on holiday in the next year? Maybe to Petra or Jerusalem, Moscow, Morocco or Istanbul? Done, then end up back in Budapest.

Now obviously if you had more extensive travel plans in the US, you could do it with the ticket. You have unlimited miles within the 16 flights, but are only allowed 4 flights within each continent (6 in North America) and there are plenty of other rules to be sure.

Point being, you're getting a lot more value for money, lots more Avios, and getting a "sampler" of premium travel on several excellent airlines.

If you travel a lot, it might make sense to pencil out some kind of "strategic" or "master" plan for a one- or two-year period just to see if such a product might work for you. Many, many business people with offices or clients around the world use RTW tickets in such a way, saving their companies many thousands of pounds/dollars in the process.

8. Re: BA to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 25, 2014