We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

problem checking in ??

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
reviews: 59
problem checking in ??

I paid for 4 tickets for my family to travel to Hong Kong in July. Malaysian airlines.

Our oldest daughter is going 2 days earlier.

We all travel back together, so had to be 2 seperate bookings.

However, I have just read on the itinery....Important notice for security reasons, the following are required for check in.........Failure to produce these documents may result in denied boarding.

Photocopy or actual credit/debit card used for the online purchase

Photocopy or original photo ID of the credit/debit card holder

So she cant take my credit card as I will need it for proof.

Does this mean she will be denied boarding? Surely not as some people have their tickets bought for them. Its a different surname as she is married.

Will a photocopy do? I have never experienced this before.

I have emailed thwm and messaged on facebook and no reply to either.

Judging from the wrong info i got on service when I called, Im not doing that again.

Help....

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: problem checking in ??

I don't understand your question. You state the webpage says you may produce either a photocopy or the original card and the cardholder's I.D., and then you ask if a photocopy is o.k.?

Perth
Destination Expert
2. Re: problem checking in ??

the photocopy would be of the card in my name, not my daughters. So will they accept that as I wont be with her?

Illinois
reviews: 16
3. Re: problem checking in ??

It sounds like if you send a photocopy of the CC and your ID she should be fine. Will you be far from the airport? If not, you could go with her to check in if you're worried. (That's probably what I'd do, but I'm mildly paranoid...)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: problem checking in ??

You could also possibly all visit a Malaysia Airlines station (airport or office) ahead of time, and verify that your daughter is legally (with your consent) traveling on a ticket purchased with your credit card. That's what you can do (and I have done) with United, and someone in the same situation reported on here that can be done with Turkish. I'd call Malaysia beforehand to make sure that's possible with them though.

But, if it says a photocopy is valid, then give you daughter a photocopy of your credit card and passport, and it should be okay.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
5. Re: problem checking in ??

I'd do as USBT suggests. I think the MH Perth city office is in William Street (it used to be!) - might be worth popping in next time you're in the city.

Perth
Destination Expert
6. Re: problem checking in ??

she flies at 1am in the morning and I am 1 hour from the airport, so thats something I will avoid if possible.

It's ridiculous, she doesn't have a credit card.

Maybe if I photocopy my passport and my credit card and then write a letter.

It seems when I called about other queries I was given wrong information, so I would hesitate calling.

Might have to....

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
7. Re: problem checking in ??

It might be 'ridiculous', but a lot of airlines now require this, not just MH. It's supposed to counter fraud.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: problem checking in ??

The rules specifically say "original OR PHOTOCOPY of card and cardholder's ID." All you have to do is give her a photocopy of your card and your ID. Why are you stressed about this? As you say, people buy tickets for others all the time. They won't be astonished at a person traveling without the purchaser.

Perth
Destination Expert
9. Re: problem checking in ??

Well then thats how it must be Brooklyn ..no more stressing :(

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 85
10. Re: problem checking in ??

""the photocopy would be of the card in my name, not my daughters. So will they accept that as I wont be with her?""

Hi, that's exactly why they want a copy of YOUR credit card (or at least a copy of the credit card used to purchase the tickets) to verify the person (with a different surname) is travelling on a valid ticket, correctly purchased. They don't need her credit card details.

It will be fine - this very issue happened with our daughter on a recent trip where I had purchased her ticket. Photocopy of my credit card, drivers licence and passport (to cover all bases) and it was all sweet.

She'll be fine....relax !!